Options

LR2 vs. LR3

ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 10, 2010 in Finishing School
As of right now I do all of my editing with Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. I want to be able to do a little bit more than what elements allows. So, Is it worth it to spend the extra money to get LR3 instead of LR2? What are the major differences? Problems you've had with either.. etc. I'm just looking for a little more information besides what I've researched before I make a purchase.

Also, I tried downloading the Trial version of both of these and for some reason it won't work every time I try it. So i haven't actually had a chance to play with either of these yet.
Nikon D5000
Nikon P80
Nikkor 22-300 VR
Nikkor 18-55 VR

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    In terms of editing, the main differences are in the raw conversion module. What's the latest version of ACR that's available for Elements 8?
  • Options
    ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    I have no Idea. I tried researching the latest version and really couldn't find much.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    In terms of editing, the main differences are in the raw conversion module. What's the latest version of ACR that's available for Elements 8?

When I bought my D700 in May, the camera shop threw in a legit copy of PSE8. I went ahead and registered it 'cause PSE has some nifty creative short-cuts that aren't in CS5 (that's another book!) and it worked fine with my D700. SO . . . must be pretty up-to-date, ACR 6.1 something-or-other. At any rate, isn't it updateable?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    According to Adobe's Web site, PSE8 will support ACR 6.1, the latest and greatest version, though it may not have shipped with that version installed. You can update it free on the site. Once you have 6.1 installed, you are much better off than with LR2, which only goes to ACR 5.x. The main difference there is in improved noise reduction and lens correction tools. LR3 does not offer much in editing that you don't already have, though it does have other advantages in database and print management. I don't use Elements so I don't really know what sharpening tools are available--the output sharpening in LR has a good reputation--but that's the only thing I can think of.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    LR3 is wonderful. Improvements over LR2 include a phenomenal NR program (rivals and in some cases betters external NR programs, IMO), watermarking, faster file handling (even though I"m now shooting with a 7d and the files are bigger), a more complete/flexible import dialog/interface, and a whole bunch of little goodies I keep discovering as I use it. I was very VERY surprised at how much better it is, enough so that I paid the upgrade fee instead of waiting for the college where I teach - which gives me educational copies - to upgrade and provide me with one (for free).
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Improvements over LR2 include a phenomenal NR program (rivals and in some cases betters external NR programs, IMO),

15524779-Ti.gif

You're not alone in that Sister! My opinion too. When I upgraded computer systems recently to 64 bit Win7, I didn't even bother updating my Noise Ninja license. LR3 is SO effective and easy. I upgraged from LR1.4, so you can imagine how gobsmacked I was by LR3.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    LR3's noise reduction is excellent indeed. But the OP should be aware that ACR 6.1 has the same feature and is included with PSE8. deal.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    yes it is worth the extra money for LR3 just for the NR feature alone
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com