Options

Strange Photoshop Question

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited August 10, 2010 in Finishing School
Odd.... when Photoshop is saving my JPG it's disregarding the opacity setting on my layers, temporarily converting it to 100% opacity. Yikes! What's wrong? It does this if I Flatten Image manually as well. TIFF or PSD starting point.

Photoshop CS3, Mac OS-X 10.6.4.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Wow. That's a bit scary. I sit waiting nervously, never having experienced your issue, but hoping a guru steps in (he/she will, never fear) to tell us the easy fix. 'Cause if it happens to anyone, it'll happen to me.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    Do you mean in the final image or when it is flattening the various layers? I'm not sure transparency/opacity is supported by the JPG format. If you need transparency, use GIF or PNG.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    But if he saves as jpg, it'll ask him if he wants to flatten the image, right? JPG doesn't support layers at all does it? Boy will I be embarassed if it does.
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Do you mean in the final image or when it is flattening the various layers? I'm not sure transparency/opacity is supported by the JPG format. If you need transparency, use GIF or PNG.

The flattened image should look like the layered version but it does not. The layer that should be a bit transparent is not. I know jpg does not support layers or opacity...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Hmm...can you post a screen shot of the pre-flattened image and layers palette and the also the final jpg? This does sound strange. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Can't get a screen shot of the layers pallete because whenever I switch to the "Grab" utility it hides the layer's palette. :(

Oddly, Aperture exports the image from the TIFF file as expected. At least it gives me a solution!

2&file=z06twocollageaperture_medium.jpg

Here is what Photoshop did. Notice how the top image is stronger, more vibrant, because it threw away the opacity setting of the layer that image was in.

2&file=z06twocollagemuted_medium.jpg
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Looks like there is an extra layer on the right (green/grass triangular bit) that shows in the second image?

EDIT: or is that part of the bottom layer?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    :lurk
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Oh, Bill. Not to add more anxiety, but GM has been known to get real ornery when the Corvette Badge and name are included in any photo that could be remotely called commercial. There've been threads here about it.
    John :
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 9, 2010
    Hit ctrl+alt+shift-e to create a new final layer of all the layers below, before collapsing your file to a single layer. That's how I do it anyway..
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    I can see several differences in the two images, but I'm not sure I understand how each was produced. Besides the grass patch that Ivar pointed out, the red text in the lower image seems stronger as does the shrubbery below it.

I wonder whether you looked at the pic in PS at 100% magnification before flattening. I have noticed in the past that smaller previews can be misleading. Usually it doesn't matter, but sometimes there are surprises in the final version. Adobe has acknowledged the problem but doesn't like to talk about it much.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    .jpg doesn't support transparency but it should respect opacity levels in a composite if there is an underlying layer. Meaning if there is something completely consuming the area underneath the layer that you are reducing the opacity on then the end result should be as previewed. But I'll bet that if there is a portion that has nothing under it, then you are basicly asking for transparency and PS is disregarding the opacity setting in a .jpg save. As mentioned above try a merge visible with ctrl+alt+shift+e, you could also try control A then >image >crop to remove parts of that layer outside of the canvas that may be throwing PS. Also try starting your comp on a solid canvas.