Ranking Photos

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited July 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Don't know if this has been brought up already, but one feature that I think smugmug is missing is the ability to rank photos....and then be able to search through smugmug for "highest ranked photos"...

And for that matter, I would like to be able to search other things like "most hit photos" and "photos with the most comments", ect...

Perhaps smugmug doesn't believe in "ranking" photos, but I find it useful as a new photographer to be able to see what the "general public" likes and what they don't like.

Any thoughts?
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I like the idea that photos aren't only available through the normal galleries. One step was the keyword system and this would be a great addition in order to get more attention through other visitors.

I'm all for it! thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Alan M. CarrollAlan M. Carroll Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    It never lasts
    Oakley wrote:
    Don't know if this has been brought up already, but one feature that I think smugmug is missing is the ability to rank photos....and then be able to search through smugmug for "highest ranked photos"...

And for that matter, I would like to be able to search other things like "most hit photos" and "photos with the most comments", ect...

Perhaps smugmug doesn't believe in "ranking" photos, but I find it useful as a new photographer to be able to see what the "general public" likes and what they don't like.

Any thoughts?
    Within a month or two, it will go from "what the general public likes" to "who's the best at gaming the system". Having highly ranked photos will become a status symbol and then people will do whatever it takes to have their photos highly ranked. It doesn't take more than a tiny minority to make a ruin of this kind of thing.
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Within a month or two, it will go from "what the general public likes" to "who's the best at gaming the system". Having highly ranked photos will become a status symbol and then people will do whatever it takes to have their photos highly ranked. It doesn't take more than a tiny minority to make a ruin of this kind of thing.
    hmm...very good point Alan.

Never thought of that.

Thanks
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Oakley wrote:
    hmm...very good point Alan.

Never thought of that.

Thanks
    Is there perhaps some better way of doing this do you think? Some way that would allow the truly great photos hidden in the dark corners of the smugmug servers to see the light of day? I know I'd be interested in being able to surf the amazing images that are on smugmug without having to wade through the millions of camera phone party pics or even the various wedding pictures. I don't mean to equate the two but a wonderfully artistic shot of someone on their wedding day doesn't necessarily have the same draw for me as a mark adamus landscape.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005

Is there perhaps some better way of doing this do you think? Some way that would allow the truly great photos hidden in the dark corners of the smugmug servers to see the light of day? I know I'd be interested in being able to surf the amazing images that are on smugmug without having to wade through the millions of camera phone party pics or even the various wedding pictures. I don't mean to equate the two but a wonderfully artistic shot of someone on their wedding day doesn't necessarily have the same draw for me as a mark adamus landscape.
    I think smugmug needs to do give this some serious thought. I would think that it would go a long way in advertising their site if people could easily view the top photos posted by their costomers.

I mean, I can't even find a link which shows the pictures for the contest winners!

So I suppose options to be able to filter "the best" from "the rest" would be either:

1. Some sort of ranking system
    2. Filter and sort based on # of hits

And I would also like to see the most popular Smugmug user site! I'm sure there must be some great ones out there that I'll never be able to find "accidentily".

Lets keep this discussion going...
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    And Smugmug comes through again! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Seriously...this will never happen. Smugmug doesn't listen to its users! mwink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Seriously...this will never happen. Smugmug doesn't listen to its users! mwink.gif
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31280
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    This "most popular photos" thing, will it not work for password protected galleries, like keywording?

Malte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    This "most popular photos" thing, will it not work for password protected galleries, like keywording?

Malte
    Public.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album