Options

My first... Don't worry about being gentle...!!!

TBRTBR Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 13, 2010 in Weddings
Hey guys I finally got a chance to put some of the photos I got this weekend... It was my first one and I did learn so very much. Thank you all for the help so far. CC welcomed and encouraged... Hope y'all enjoy...!!!

Oh and just to let y'all know I was a 2nd and did it for the price of experience...

964680255_EKb6V-L.jpg
964683559_GnoeA-L.jpg
964687146_NygiL-L.jpg
964703569_aSSAB-L.jpg
964954276_8wCec-L.jpg
964954871_dYm3e-L.jpg
964703569_aSSAB-L.jpg
964701360_5quQV-L.jpg
964955988_VpbLA-L.jpg
964961543_2iXb3-L.jpg
964960844_xN23Y-L.jpg
964968172_8xfHj-L.jpg
964971833_y3XHj-L.jpg
964972175_Y5C7K-L.jpg
964973182_kD3EL-L.jpg
964973789_sgp4b-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Lose the soft focus, it's so 1999. And it makes highlights even more blown out than they already are.

Check your highlights when processing. Bridge and Lightroom both have warnings for highlights.

Don't use that weird B&W conversion action / preset that makes people's skin look like it's glowing and white. Back to 1999 again. It looks like an infra-red image.

Lose the direct flash. I can see sharp shadows in almost every picture that used flash. Even if you're not ready to go off-camera, at least bounce it. Or shoot ambient; you've got a 5D mk2 and a couple 2.8 zooms, and you can rent a 1.4 prime pretty dang cheap; I doubt any of those images actually NEEDED flash to begin with.

Thankfully, these are all technical quibbles and that's the EASY part to fix. Thankfully, your eye isn't in question. I love the detail shot, the ceremony shot, and most of the other candids. Just get through this processing phase asap, and move on to something a little more timeless or at least current. ;-)

There you have it, I didn't worry about being gentle!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    the compositions are good! The processing is good..EXCEPT for the highlights..way over done. and yeah..you need to bounce your flash as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Same observation here...highlights are overdone. You have a good eye for framing shots. Did you have a problem with the color originals and that's why you did a lot of your work in BW?

1. Too much light.

2. This one is okay.

3. Well done, one of my favorites of the set.

4. Honestly, what's good about this shot. You can't make shooting the back of the head work...not when it's the subject of the photo.

5. Not a big fan of the tilt here. You got a good look up their noses...usually something that you really want to avoid...

6. This is your money shot...the bride will love your for it. Nice post processing...and, as an added benefit...you captured the emotion of the moment...you can see it in her face.

7. Same as 4.

8. Nice idea...just over exposed...think posterity...people want to see themselves. When you over expose...you lose features...what are they going to say in a few years.

9. Quite nice...good post processing and a nice pose, one the bride will like.

10, 11, 13, 16 are all nice shots.

And, like has been said before, you are a little soft on some of your shots...and if they look soft here, then they will be way soft if you are enlarging them.

Just my two cents...hope this helps...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Thanks guys... I will go back through and retouch the Post on them... I got a little happy with the b&w.

Matt I actually thought quite a bit about using no flash, mainly because of a lot of your posts and your photo's on here but when we where doing the shots the main photog was using his and I got nervous and copied him even to the point of pointing it the same direction... I should of trusted my instincts on it... The shadows bugged me when I got to my computer. I think I do want to follow in your advice and learn to shoot ambient and then start playing with flash more. That is one of the main reasons I spent the money on the 2.8's and willing to spend it again on some faster fixed as soon as I can save up some more money...!!!

You guys are a great inspiration and I do appreciate all the help y'all have given.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    TBR wrote: »
    Thanks guys... I will go back through and retouch the Post on them... I got a little happy with the b&w.

Matt I actually thought quite a bit about using no flash, mainly because of a lot of your posts and your photo's on here but when we where doing the shots the main photog was using his and I got nervous and copied him even to the point of pointing it the same direction... I should of trusted my instincts on it... The shadows bugged me when I got to my computer. I think I do want to follow in your advice and learn to shoot ambient and then start playing with flash more. That is one of the main reasons I spent the money on the 2.8's and willing to spend it again on some faster fixed as soon as I can save up some more money...!!!

You guys are a great inspiration and I do appreciate all the help y'all have given.
    If that's what the main photog did in those particular lighting conditions, then they may not know what they're doing. Of course I don't know exactly what the light levels were like really, but I honestly believe you could have done a great job of shooting ambient. But, no worries no immitating the pro. Next time you can try doing your own thing!

=Matt=
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010

YES! Work hard on getting ambient right. I have no hate for flash when it's used well, but I would rather see a grainy photo than an over-flashed shot. Flash is very useful in some situations, but the goal is usually to make the flash unnoticeable.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Ok... So I redid a couple of the ones I had posted already let me know what you think...

1. I cropped it a bit more and redid the bw conversion a bit... I think it's a lot less distracting and I just love the shot all together if it where not for the blown out walls...
    966188072_cPw9d-M.jpg

2. Here is the one of the bride with her leg over the rail... Once again I hope I saved it cause I love the capture...!!!
    966189906_TzaY8-M.jpg
    3. This one I didn't post before but I really like it.
    964973427_yqULV-M.jpg

Do you think I'm to b&w happy??? I'm worried that I want to go that route to much... Here is that last one in color which would you go with???
    967012988_dxYbW-M.jpg

5. And just a new one for the heck of it...
    964972895_wpdzb-M.jpg
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Second post looks much better to me. I love black and white. Nothing wrong with having lots of BW if that's your style. You captured a lot of fun moments. The above comments are correct in saying that you have a good eye. I'm sure this couple will be happy with the results.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    haha..I think you went a touch too far..1st and 3rd I would have gone a 1/4 stop more. 2nd one is fine. I prefer the BW if the 3rd
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Ok... So I redid a couple of the ones I had posted already let me know what you think...

1. I cropped it a bit more and redid the bw conversion a bit... I think it's a lot less distracting and I just love the shot all together if it where not for the blown out walls...

2. Here is the one of the bride with her leg over the rail... Once again I hope I saved it cause I love the capture...!!!

3. This one I didn't post before but I really like it.

Do you think I'm to b&w happy??? I'm worried that I want to go that route to much... Here is that last one in color which would you go with???

5. And just a new one for the heck of it...
    MUCH better! Simple, timeless, the processing doesn't distract from the image itself. And yes, I really like B&W especially when in low light. There's just something about the reddish hues in dim light that, unless captured VERY artfully, are just garish. It is usually a much more artistic rendering to see in B&W...

=Matt=