Options

Dgrin mini-meetup: Summer in the Cascades

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Landscapes
Last weekend our esteemed Dgrinner Ron (coscorrosa) led a few of us out-of-towners on a whirlwind tour of the Pacific Northwest. His reputation as a great photographer and as a champion of sleep deprivation is certainly not unfounded.

I think I got a max of 3 hours of sleep at any stretch, and that was considered a lot.

I've got an affinity for mountains, and my whole live have always wanted to visit Mt Rainier NP. This was the best excuse for a road trip I've ever heard of.

Sunrise at Tipsoo Lake. We were joined by Dgrinner Robbug, too. (Small world!)

963416099_mVM9M-XL-1.jpg

Sun dipping through the wildflowers

964662992_vfHpb-XL.jpg

Godbeams across Mt Rainier

963371144_dRR7V-XL-1.jpg

Mist rising from Reflection Lake

963425624_EQvWG-XL-1.jpg

THE shot from the overpass in Seattle. I like Seattle, crazies and all. The Olympic mountains in the distance are calling me back for another trip.

963360862_MQ5dJ-XL-1.jpg

Over pass

964703838_ephWa-XL.jpg

Hiking up Pinnacle Trail, in the Tatoosh Mountains. The fog foiled our sunrise, but we had nice forests, instead.

964725586_ddnfJ-XL.jpg

Roadkill. We saw lots of deer, marmots, chipmunks and elk, but few of these - especially so early in the morning!

963431409_VvswG-XL-1.jpg

Our cast and crew:

Ron, in the flesh (with his sidekick, Mr Mosquito):

963433539_6u2U9-XL-1.jpg

sgonen and dlplumer:

963419681_Xdqo6-XL-1.jpg

zweiblumen and dseidman (both thrilled that there's cell service!)

964671792_coYQt-XL.jpg

There are a few more less-landscapey shots in the gallery here. But I can't wait to see what the other peeps will post here, because we all have such different perspectives.

Thanks again to Ron for putting up with us and sharing his extensive wisdom. As I say, I just love going out and having a good time with people with common interests. Being someplace beautiful and photogenic is just a big perk. Hope to catch up and shoot with more Dgrinners soon! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Wow, looks like a fantastic time. I really like the b/w road shot. So nice. Maybe crop off to lose the pillar at the top?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Thanks and that's a great idea David. I'll try that and probably end up replacing the pic :D

I feel very lucky to have had a chance to spend a few days with some of Dgrin's finest.
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    So awesome! Great job on the photos. Looks like a fun time was had by all. clap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    bowdown.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    omfg..these are the best landscape shots I have seen from you EVER steph. The wildflower shot make me weep!eek7.gif

wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    looks like a fun trip, Schmoo! wish i could've joined you all! i think the shot of the Tatoosh trail forest is my favorite! i was up at Tipsoo about a month ago, still totally covered with snow... looks like i need to make another trip up there pretty soon...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    963431409_VvswG-S-1.jpg
    So this is what sleep deprivation did to Travis, passing out while crossing the road? Glad that you all made it back with gorgeous images.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    omfg..these are the best landscape shots I have seen from you EVER steph. The wildflower shot make me weep!eek7.gif

wings.gifbarbwings.gif

Thanks Qarik! Heheh I hope that's just the sun in your eyes. :D Hope you've been getting out and shooting a bit yourself lately. thumb.gif

I don't think I could do as good of a job hosting SF Bay folks as well as Ron, but there's always hope...

Rocky - It indeed would have been cool to meet up. I knew there were lots of folks up that way but I obviously underestimated it. Ah well, next time, right?

Cuong - Hahah I think you're right, even though Trav got a couple of hours more sleep than I did that morning. But hey after 4 days even asphalt seems snuggly. :D

And Andy thanks! That means a lot coming from a real-deal Pro. thumb.gif
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Love the pictures schmoo. clap.gif

I'm sooo bummed I wasn't able to catch up with all of you. :cry

By the time I was finally set free from my work and household duties on Sunday, weather was lousy. I had originally planned to leave Seattle at 2AM on Sunday to catch sunrise at Rainier. Unfortunately, everyone had left the Pacific Northwest for drier climates, so in true Pacific Northwest style I just went for a hike in the rain.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    greenpea wrote: »
    Love the pictures schmoo. clap.gif

I'm sooo bummed I wasn't able to catch up with all of you. :cry

By the time I was finally set free from my work and household duties on Sunday, weather was lousy. I had originally planned to leave Seattle at 2AM on Sunday to catch sunrise at Rainier. Unfortunately, everyone had left the Pacific Northwest for drier climates, so in true Pacific Northwest style I just went for a hike in the rain.

I KNOW!!! I was really psyched to possibly see you, especially as I've never met your kids so it's hard for me to remember that you aren't always wandering around the wilderness with a camera and toe shoes. :D

Still, you guys live in an awesome location. I mean, between rainforests, volcanoes, and snoi-capped peaks? What a great place to drop a city.

This didn't really count as reciprocal visit from your trip to SF, so we'll take a rain check! (ha ha)
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Incredible perspective Schmoo. That first shot at Tipsoo is awesome and so different from everyone elses. #2 is pure awesomeness clap.gif So enjoyed meeting you and TT:D
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Nice work getting out guys...but remember, washington is wet and you don't want to live here. Spread the word.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Thanks Dan and it was great to meet you and Shimon. That's so cool that the two of you shoot and travel so often.

My secret to finding different comps is to first fail at the first 40 tries. lol3.gif I just was not able to get the "traditional" reflection shot to work and even blending exposures looked like poo. However I've seen several versions of that approach that look fantastic so I know it can be done. Can't wait to see more from you!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote: »
    Nice work getting out guys...but remember, washington is wet and you don't want to live here. Spread the word.

Yeah you wouldn't want it turn into another SF. I already tell people not to come here because we've hit critical mass. But then they just move to Portland. lol3.gif

It was very difficult looking up at all of those crazy mountains and not think of all your awesome treks (and shots) from up there. Hats off to you for going where so few are able to explore!
  • Options
    RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Awesome shots! I am so glad I was there when you guys showed up. I had a blast for the short timeframe! It was really cool to meet fellow some fellow dgrinners.

Shooting with likeminded people definitely helps you learn and opens your eyes to different perspectives. I remember seeing you and Travis both setting up your gear with totally different setups. I went along with everyone else with wide and semi-wide, but when I saw you taking a new perspective with the telephoto I went ahead and tried it out too. Glad I did.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Same to you, Rob! So funny that of all the people to run into on a mountaintop, it was the Dgrinner that had discussed handwarmers for star trails. lol3.gif How long were you out in the park before we ran into you?

Totally agree. Shooting with others is so educational, even if you're not being officially schooled in anything. It's nice to break out of your own bubble (although that has merits, too). I haven't been in a workshoppy-type environment in ages and I sorely miss seeing other people's technique, equipment, and perspectives on pretty much everything. So when do we see your shots? ear.gif

Hope it wasn't too tough getting back to work!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    I really like reflection lake and Tatoosh. The DOF on the Tatoosh shot is awesome.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    These photos are all very schmoo-esque! :D

The backlit translucent western anemone (rhymes with alimony - pick your own mnemonic) pods are really cool. My favorite shot is the foggy forest, the comp is great and the bright green understory in the foreground is cool too. There weren't too many open spots on that trail but it looks like you found the best one. I was too busy racing up the trail when I should have slowed my walk...

I wish the light and wildflowers would have cooperated more but you made the most out of what was there.

I like the pano skyline shot too, I might cool down the white balance in the foreground a little - that will allow the light trails to show up more and not be drowned out by the artificial light.

Next trip is yours to plan. Just give me 14 hours notice (assuming it's in your neck if the woods).
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote: »

+1 lol3.gif
  • Options
    RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Same to you, Rob! So funny that of all the people to run into on a mountaintop, it was the Dgrinner that had discussed handwarmers for star trails. lol3.gif How long were you out in the park before we ran into you?

Totally agree. Shooting with others is so educational, even if you're not being officially schooled in anything. It's nice to break out of your own bubble (although that has merits, too). I haven't been in a workshoppy-type environment in ages and I sorely miss seeing other people's technique, equipment, and perspectives on pretty much everything. So when do we see your shots? ear.gif

Hope it wasn't too tough getting back to work!

It was Ron that said he was using them. I just suggested the stupid silly expensive method :D Of course I wouldn't spend that much money - I just stuff the sticky foot warmers to the inside of my hood.

And getting home was - interesting. On the way back I saw what I thought was a great scene - forested road with soft light streaming in etc. I slammed on my brakes and ... well ... ya I slammed on them because I was a little tired. After that wake up call I just decided to get home heh.

I am gonna post mine up here in a sec. I already am outclassed though :)

And my favorite of the set would be the forest - great capture!
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Wow. Beautiful shots! Looks like it was a great trip!
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    These photos are all very schmoo-esque! :D

The backlit translucent western anemone (rhymes with alimony - pick your own mnemonic) pods are really cool. My favorite shot is the foggy forest, the comp is great and the bright green understory in the foreground is cool too. There weren't too many open spots on that trail but it looks like you found the best one. I was too busy racing up the trail when I should have slowed my walk...

Best. Reply. Ever.

Thanks for the tips - I think you're right about the WB in the overpass sections. IIRC I cooled it down a lot but I'm always a little conservative because I'm afraid of turning it green. But I'll give it a go!

I think half the success is your being so familiar with the area... and with good reason. But little things like knowing the general area of sun/moon rise and knowing where to check for meteor showers, that's the key. I'd love to try arranging something in the future, that's for sure. Time to find a dart and a map! :D
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Take that right hand and swing it way around your neck, now give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.
    Looks like you all had some fog too, now that's living large :)
  • Options
    sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Wow, love these, you have a great eye and your images evoke a different emotion ... can't quite describe it (I'm not making sense now...)
    Great meeting you and TT, it's been so long since I've sat around a fire in the woods, and getting out there and shooting with other photogs is just the best.
    I'll get to mine soon (I'm a slow processor)
    How about some abandoning?
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Why did the dGrinner cross the road?

To get a shot from the other side.

I'm really jealous of you guys who live in the western half of the US. Deserts, mountains, canyons, arches, forests, lakes, clear skies, no light pollution... we have some pretty scenery in Maryland, but I live in the middle of such an overdeveloped urban jungle that I can't get clear skies without halfway to Ohio.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Wow thanks Marc, and everyone. This really means a lot to me, and I hope that if anyone sees something that can use improvement, you'll let me have it. :D
    sgonen wrote: »
    Wow, love these, you have a great eye and your images evoke a different emotion ... can't quite describe it (I'm not making sense now...)
    Great meeting you and TT, it's been so long since I've sat around a fire in the woods, and getting out there and shooting with other photogs is just the best.
    I'll get to mine soon (I'm a slow processor)
    How about some abandoning?

Sorry you guys had to sleep in the car the first night, but thanks for keeping us company! You do some great work yourself Shimon so I can't wait to see what you get.

I'm pretty slow processing, usually, but didn't we have a conversation over some breakfast about being emotionally attached...? lol3.gif

Did someone say abandonments? There isn't a lot on the west coast but if the opportunity presents itself I'm there!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Why did the dGrinner cross the road?

To get a shot from the other side.

I'm really jealous of you guys who live in the western half of the US. Deserts, mountains, canyons, arches, forests, lakes, clear skies, no light pollution... we have some pretty scenery in Maryland, but I live in the middle of such an overdeveloped urban jungle that I can't get clear skies without halfway to Ohio.

Hey Will! Being a fresh Baltimore transplant I totally know what you mean. However there is a lot to find in the East. I just wasn't sure I "saw" it myself until I left 18 months ago. lol3.gif

I do make trips back periodically, but it's usually brief weekend visits for family. If I had more time I would do a lot more street shooting downtown and on the more... savory portions of town. Or head down to Annapolis to catch the haze over the water and the old streets, things like that. I really regret not taking more time along the Chesapeake before I left.

Yeah, it's really tough to get clear skies in the Mid-Atlantic, but we drove 14.5 hours (each way) from the SF Bay Area to get to Mt Rainier. Think of where you could be in half that time! :D
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Fantastic series of shots! I am so jealous of you all, it looks like a great time was had!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Fantastic series of shots! I am so jealous of you all, it looks like a great time was had!

It would have been much better if we'd caught some Bzdula Beams and I said as much at the time! :D
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    Great pics, Schmoo. thumb.gif