Carolina [3 split tone images]

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited August 28, 2005 in People
Howdy friends!
Was fiddeling with some pictures of my colleague Carolina, tryin' to achieve a nice split tone effect. Does it work, you'd say? Comments and critics are welcome!

Regards / Matty

33715533-O.jpg

33715534-O.jpg

33715530-O.jpg

Comments

• trusttrust Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2005
    split tone
    im novice.. how do u do split toneheadscratch.gif
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Hi Trust!
    A split tone is a black and white image that has only been partially toned. When done correctly the effects can - and should be as far as I consider - rather subtle. On these images I have only applied some toning to the shadows areas of the image, leaving the midtones and the highlights untouched.

In photoshop, convert your image to mono (if it isn't already). Open "Color Balance" (Ctrl+B) and check the "Shadow" box. In the "Color Level" boxes, changes the values to approx +15, 0, -15. (Or a little less) All after taste of course.

Without a mono image side by side for comparison, a split tone can fool ya, almost looking like a mono. But with a comparison image, the differences are rather obvious. :): Have a look:

Regards / Matty

33720177-L.jpg

And just for fun, here is another comparison image involving a sepia version also:

33722263-L.jpg
    trust wrote:
    im novice.. how do u do split toneheadscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    matty, these are splendid! i love your quirky style, not many can pull it off, but you do, time and time again clap.gif

the tonal ranges here are intoxicating. awesome job, matty!
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Lovely treatment, it works perfectly clap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Excellent displays...I think the split tones work wonderfully. Lovely model. Excellent sharpness and wonderful compositions. The only drawbacks that I see, however, is that in photos one and two--the model's skin looks a bit too porous .

Michal
    edited August 28, 2005
    Thank you, Andy!
    I took the first two "make up" shots candidly while she was stylin' herself before a shoot (that we had a long time ago). I haven't been looking at them for a long time, and when I did yesterday, my interest got stuck on these. Infact, I think they are the best pictures from that shoot. :):

Matty
    andy wrote:
    matty, these are splendid! i love your quirky style, not many can pull it off, but you do, time and time again clap.gif

the tonal ranges here are intoxicating. awesome job, matty!
    edited August 28, 2005
    Thank you, rahmonster!
    thumb.gif
    rahmonster wrote:
    Lovely treatment, it works perfectly clap.gif
    edited August 28, 2005
    Thanx Michal!
    Yes, you're right! I could "treat her skin" a little more, to make it a little more flattering. :): I'll take care of it! thumb.gif

Matty

auraflora wrote:
    Excellent displays...I think the split tones work wonderfully. Lovely model. Excellent sharpness and wonderful compositions. The only drawbacks that I see, however, is that in photos one and two--the model's skin looks a bit too porous .

Michal
  • burkeburke Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    those shots are really lovely - great captures!!