4 Days On Rainier

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited August 13, 2010 in Landscapes
A few of us dgrinners got together to shoot Rainier for a few days. You have all seen Ron Coscorrosa's gorgeous photos from this area, and he was generous enough to be our host and guide. Here are a few shots through my eyes.

First sunrise shoot at Tipsoo Lake

964719697_kjCur-XL-1.jpg

Another perspective

965304092_aMovA-XL-1.jpg

We had planned to shoot the wildflowers but were a week or two early

963545045_MB3Kp-XL-2.jpg

But there were some. This is 'beargrass'

963534917_Si53r-XL-2.jpg

This was a difficult shot to balance the dynamic range: Myrtle Falls

965158522_yV9wd-XL.jpg

Not a lot of great light for capturing pink alpine glow, but the views were still pretty spectacular, especially coming from the desert southwest

963516164_VBQMd-XL-2.jpg

When the fog rolled in it gave us a chance to capture a different look

963827847_hDZGn-XL-2.jpg

And of course there was wildlife. Here is Ron teaching Danny how to shoot a doe (:rofl)

965777283_zkob6-XL-1.jpg

Ron told me to look for marmots, but I had never seen a marmot. Shimon and I found a couple however, and they are quite cute and affectionate.

963868723_x4fSe-XL-2.jpg

963873586_LwA3f-XL-2.jpg

When you go shooting with Ron, you learn to get very little sleep, and what you get is in your car. I did sleep in the car the first night, but then I got to use the cabin that Shimon and I rented for the week.

965748172_fhwMn-XL.jpg

Best of all, I got to meet some great people. Here are Schmoo, Travis, Danny, and Ron waiting for Shimon :D

965791803_84PLM-XL.jpg

And here is Shimon waiting for me.

963864710_uHnUq-XL-2.jpg

I can't wait to go back. Thank you Ron for all you did in organizing this great shoot.:clap:clap:clap

963529337_SZgxK-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    Amazing photos. My husband calls marmots "rockchucks." They sure are cute, and you're right, they look pretty affectionate!
    Kristen
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2010
    lol3.gif What a contrast of marmot shots! Do they count enough as "rodents" for Harry?

These are all amazing, and I know that I was somewhere in the vicinity for most of these. And I didn't see them! Great job on the waterfalls. I really wish I'd taken some time for Myrtle Falls, seeing yours. You managed to balance the water and the bright peak of Rainier in one shot.

The beargrass macro is just awesome! The colorful soft bg frames it perfectly.

I also love the candid people shots, as we've got some great memories now. thumb.gif
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I snorted soda when I saw the marmots rolleyes1.gif

I love the fogged forest and stream. Gonna have to jot that one down and visit at a later date. Awesome set.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    kris10jo wrote: »
    Amazing photos. My husband calls marmots "rockchucks." They sure are cute, and you're right, they look pretty affectionate!
    Yep. He apparently is correct I just googled it :D
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    Fabulous! Thanks for posting these.

I think my favorite is the second shot.

--- Denise
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Beautiful photos Dan. My favorites are #2 and the fog scene. I love how you captured the water in that fog scene.

Stephanie
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    Awesome stuff, Dan! It sure is pretty there and you captured it well. Love the people and the landscape shots. The XXX rated Marmot shot is a keep too. rolleyes1.gif

Looks like it was an awesome trip. thumb.gif

-joel
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Great work Dan! Looks like you had an awesome time. What a beautiful place to visit.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Definitely an amazing set of shots from what sounds like a really fun and educational trip. The Myrtle Falls shot is just top notch and the colors in these are amazing thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    :drool
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Great shots Danny, love the colors you got on Tipsoo Lake. The Fog shooting day was so much fun and you captured it perfectly. Good memories...
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    yep, that tears it... i'm headin' up there this weekend... where did you get that wonderful shot of the foggy stream?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Beautiful photographs!
    Hard to pick one favorite!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Really, really great shots. Maybe those marmots should've borrowed your cabin? rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 11, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    yep, that tears it... i'm headin' up there this weekend... where did you get that wonderful shot of the foggy stream?

On the loop road in Paradise (left hand side just before viewpoint on right side). Thanks for the kind words :D
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Great shots Dan! I'm jealous you and Shimon got to hang out with Ron, our DGrin resident Rainer expert. :) Anyway, looks like an awesome trip with fun friends.

In my head I can hear you laughing while shooting the marmots. Bow chicka bow wow!
    edited August 11, 2010
    Robbug wrote: »
    I snorted soda when I saw the marmots rolleyes1.gif

I love the fogged forest and stream. Gonna have to jot that one down and visit at a later date. Awesome set.

Thanks. Glad you appreciated that. :D
    edited August 11, 2010
    karlabbott wrote: »
    Definitely an amazing set of shots from what sounds like a really fun and educational trip. The Myrtle Falls shot is just top notch and the colors in these are amazing thumb.gif

Thanks Karl. I worked hard on that shot.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Wow, these are all so beautiful Dan.

Looks like you had an awesome time being surrounded by such beauty.

Peace, gail
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    On the loop road in Paradise (left hand side just before viewpoint on right side). Thanks for the kind words :D

Yep, that's the Paradise River right by the 4th Crossing Trailhead (which intersects the Skyline trail and is also the closest trailhead to the Paradise Glacier trail which had some great wildflowers last year).

The other good spots for the Paradise River are right at the Stevens Creek road intersection at Paradise and above Narada Falls. Perfect subject for a foggy/overcast/rainy day.

See Dan - you don't need me, you can find all the cool roadside spots yourself :)

Great series with a lot of variety. You did a good job keeping that Myrtle Falls shot under control, it's an easier exposure at sunrise but you pulled it off at sunset. The beargrass detail shot is fantastic, the background really makes it pop out and the DOF is perfect.
    edited August 11, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Yep, that's the Paradise River right by the 4th Crossing Trailhead (which intersects the Skyline trail and is also the closest trailhead to the Paradise Glacier trail which had some great wildflowers last year).

The other good spots for the Paradise River are right at the Stevens Creek road intersection at Paradise and above Narada Falls. Perfect subject for a foggy/overcast/rainy day.

See Dan - you don't need me, you can find all the cool roadside spots yourself :)

Great series with a lot of variety. You did a good job keeping that Myrtle Falls shot under control, it's an easier exposure at sunrise but you pulled it off at sunset. The beargrass detail shot is fantastic, the background really makes it pop out and the DOF is perfect.

Thanks Ron, that means so much coming from you wings.gif
    edited August 12, 2010
    Fabulous! Thanks for posting these.

I think my favorite is the second shot.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise :D
    Beautiful photos Dan. My favorites are #2 and the fog scene. I love how you captured the water in that fog scene.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie. That shot is becoming one of my faves as well.
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome stuff, Dan! It sure is pretty there and you captured it well. Love the people and the landscape shots. The XXX rated Marmot shot is a keep too. rolleyes1.gif

Looks like it was an awesome trip. thumb.gif

-joel

Thanks Joel. Love those Marmots iloveyou.gif
    jamesl wrote: »
    Great work Dan! Looks like you had an awesome time. What a beautiful place to visit.

Thanks much. It sure is, and I plan on going back.
    ian408 wrote: »
    :drool

Thanks Ianrolleyes1.gif
    sgonen wrote: »
    Great shots Danny, love the colors you got on Tipsoo Lake. The Fog shooting day was so much fun and you captured it perfectly. Good memories...

Looking forward to seeing yours Shimon
    Beautiful photographs!
    Hard to pick one favorite!

Thanks Awais
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Really, really great shots. Maybe those marmots should've borrowed your cabin? rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

theNOIZ wrote: »
    Great shots Dan! I'm jealous you and Shimon got to hang out with Ron, our DGrin resident Rainer expert. :) Anyway, looks like an awesome trip with fun friends.

In my head I can hear you laughing while shooting the marmots. Bow chicka bow wow!

Thanks Shaun. I was quite lucky to get that shot. Lots of fore play and about 5 sec. of actual coitus. rolleyes1.gif
    Wow, these are all so beautiful Dan.

Looks like you had an awesome time being surrounded by such beauty.

Peace, gail

Thanks Gail
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Wonderful set Dan, the Tipsoo Lake, Myrtle Falls & the fog shot are standout for me.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited August 12, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Wonderful set Dan, the Tipsoo Lake, Myrtle Falls & the fog shot are standout for me.

Thanks Peter thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Gorgeous photos!!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Great set, I'm seriously jealous.
    edited August 13, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set, I'm seriously jealous.

No brtter compliment than that. Tom. wings.gif