Mt. Rainer - The hours before and when "They" arrived.

2»

Comments

• RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Well, I am back...and all I can say is WOW.

It was a clear and beautiful night up at sunrise. The Perseids did peak around 3AM - 4AM. There were two meteors that were spectacular. One ruined my nightvision. The other looked like a 4th of July sparkler streaking across the sky. Unfortunately neither were in either of my cameras' field of vision. From what I can see on the raw timelapse there are hundreds of meteors throughout several sequences. Some crisscrossing across the sky in multiple directions.

I had 2 cameras rolling. Combined I captured 1600 raw frames. I feel I may end up with about 1200 real frames to work with.

I will post as soon as I get it all put together. Right now my family and I are dead dead tired Laughing.gif.

Here is one frame from the 5D:

stars.jpg

The greenish tint to the trail is due to the meteor ionizing the gases in the atmosphere

The only bad thing about the night were the silly ridiculous amount of cars that kept on coming and going. I probably lost over 30 frames or so due to headlights. :(:(:(

I hope many other people got out there to at least enjoy them!

Well - time for bed.
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    bowdown.gif That sounds beautiful and your shot is so awesome. It's really obvious you know what you're doing with this astronomy stuff. :D

I can't imagine what it's like to see a meteor that ruins your night vision. Maybe next year they'll have a 360-degree fisheye? lol3.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 13, 2010
    So I got up this morning to...clouds! dang it!

I need to go to Rainier.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Another beautiful shot Rob.

I'm curious about something in this frame - toward the bottom, where the Milky Way meets the mountains, the sky brightens up considerably. Is that simply a brighter portion of the Milky Way (i.e. the Galactic Core) or is it light pollution from behind the mountains?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited August 13, 2010
    Ok last one. My computer just finished processing the images and I found this in an early sequence. I did not expect to be able to capture this with a wide angle lens.

Center frame is the Andromeda Galaxy. To the left you will see 2 bright areas close together. Those are two open clusters in relative close proximity - a double cluster (NGC 884 and 869)

Andromeda.jpg

edit: jpg compression really doesn't do this justice :(
    www.refractivephotos.com

edited August 13, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Another beautiful shot Rob.

I'm curious about something in this frame - toward the bottom, where the Milky Way meets the mountains, the sky brightens up considerably. Is that simply a brighter portion of the Milky Way (i.e. the Galactic Core) or is it light pollution from behind the mountains?

It is light pollution. I think it is coming from Portland as that is the only major city southish from Rainier. You can definitely see light pollution from Yakima which is east (not in this frame).

For those of you in New Mexico - I envy your dark skies.
    www.refractivephotos.com