Times Square, NYC

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi guys,

Here is a quick shot taken at Times Square this past weekend. I was in transit to upstate NYC and had around 20 minutes in T.S. while sipping coffee. :D

I think I need to play with the contrast a bit more. It appears a little flat to me.

965053150_ehwGd-L-5.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    My neck just broke....

Stunning POV
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Great perspective!
    Agree about bumping up the contrast (also maybe the black level).
    You have some CA showing in the top buildings. I assume this was done via bracketing and Photomatix. If so, and if you use lightroom, I have had success with enabling the lens correction in LR before exporting to Photomatix to decrease the chromatic aberrations. If I'm wrong on all tools used then feel free to ignore this...
    E
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great perspective!
    Agree about bumping up the contrast (also maybe the black level).
    You have some CA showing in the top buildings. I assume this was done via bracketing and Photomatix. If so, and if you use lightroom, I have had success with enabling the lens correction in LR before exporting to Photomatix to decrease the chromatic aberrations. If I'm wrong on all tools used then feel free to ignore this...
    E

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I saw the CA too and will fix it in the evening once I get back home. I did not open the files in Capture NX2 (I use Nikon) and thus the CA was not corrected. I think I would need to remove the CA in NX2 and then work on the file. Yeah I did use 3 shots and Photomatix (what are you, a mindreader? mwink.gif) and will work need to carefully work on the settings to get the contrast up. The original files look great.

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Nice to see you back, Nikhil! And what a great perspective of NYC. This is probably the only shot you can get in that location that doesn't have tourists in it lol3.gif

Hope you had a good 20 min in the Big Apple thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 11, 2010
    Holy crap, that's so cool! :wow Of course typical for tonemapping, much of the image is compressed into the midtones. Hit it with a big fat S curve adjust and watch it come alive. Now I want a fish-eye. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Holy crap, that's so cool! :wow Of course typical for tonemapping, much of the image is compressed into the midtones. Hit it with a big fat S curve adjust and watch it come alive. Now I want a fish-eye. :D

Cheers,
    -joel

+1 thumb.gifthumb
    edited August 11, 2010
    Reprocessed
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I got back home from work and finally got around to processing it correctly. It looks MUCH better now. wings.gif

For those of you that have viewed this thread already, you would need to refresh the page around 3 to 4 times to see the newer version. Am attaching it below just in case.

965053150_ehwGd-L-6.jpg

Cheers,
    edited August 12, 2010

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel- that's exactly what I did. Got the big 'ol S curve and it looks fine now. How have you been? I saw some of your latest shots and they look great! :D

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif the new version looks so much better. Love the sunburst, too.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    shniks wrote: »
    Thanks Joel- that's exactly what I did. Got the big 'ol S curve and it looks fine now. How have you been? I saw some of your latest shots and they look great! :D

Cheers,
    Awesome! That is truly a wonderful shot. I've been pretty good, thanks. Busy, haven't been shooting much, but managed to get out a couple of times last week because my wife and kids were out of town. deal.gif We should do a Death Valley meet-up some time this fall. mwink.gif
    edited August 14, 2010
    Awesome! That is truly a wonderful shot. I've been pretty good, thanks. Busy, haven't been shooting much, but managed to get out a couple of times last week because my wife and kids were out of town. deal.gif We should do a Death Valley meet-up some time this fall. mwink.gif

Ooh Death Valley sounds great. Have to go there once a year. :D This year, I am thinking of going to the Grand Canyon and hiking down to the bottom. It just seems so far away from LA. Maybe I can get some unsuspecting friend to drive me. :ivar

Cheers,
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    very cool!!

If your interested; from the other way round: link :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited August 18, 2010
    very cool!!

If your interested; from the other way round: link :D

Hah Chris- that's awesome. How did you get that? Blimp or chopper?eek7.gif

Cheers,
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Choppaaaahh :D

(was a gift for my birthday! iloveyou.gif)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com