My pet Jumper

Jody MelansonJody Melanson Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
edited August 12, 2010 in Holy Macro
I call her Jumpy. :D I was talking to my wife on the phone 3 weeks ago and was looking out the back sliding glass doors. I saw this big Jumper going by and told my wife, "Hang on, there's a huge Jumper out back". She understood completely and I captured her and put her into a small aquarium I have.

943035801_39pNU-O.jpg

Isn't she beautiful? :D

I photographed her and caught some bugs for her. She ravenously ate them. I bought her some crickets to keep up with her demand. :)

940512834_izwGU-O.jpg

940512850_tPtja-O.jpg

Here she is cleaning herself after some brunch.

943035760_U2S6n-O.jpg

All of these images were shot through the glass.

943035877_i4u9R-O.jpg

Here is her glamour shot. :D

943035861_d7kUF-O.jpg

I noticed she had quite a bit of junk in the trunk and was thinking of getting her a little treadmill. LOL

940512800_yTPTV-O.jpg

I had her for about 5 days when one morning I came downstairs and checked/watered on her and noticed she had made a nest and laid eggs! :) YAY! Baby Jumpers coming up!

954055965_4eTRr-O.jpg

She is very protective of the eggs. I saw her outside of the nest reinforcing it and she saw me coming and ran back inside to protect her offspring.

Here she is peeking out.

954055911_WLWWq-O.jpg

So I Googled the gestation period for Jumpers and it seems it could be a few weeks or a month. So far it has been 11 days. I'm so excited to see the little Jumpers once they hatch. Apparently they will stay in the nest for a few days eating their eggs and cannibalizing the ones that didn't hatch, then they will emerge from the nest. I will hopefully get some shots of the young'uns and then will release them outside.

If anyone has links or info about any of this, please do share.
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

Comments