Options

Etiquette question?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited August 12, 2010 in Weddings
I was just contacted by a friend about the possibility of doing their wedding. It is last minute because they are unhappy with their current photographer (specifically unhappy with their engagement photos) with whom they already booked and paid a deposit. They asked me advice on how to get their deposit back etc... Feels funny to me to even be talking to them about the other photog.. anyone else run across this? So far I am just treating them as I would any other new client. Am I doing anything wrong?/

Comments

• Options
    DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Well, I would encourage them to read back over the contract (assuming the photographer had one). If the contract clearly states that the fee is non-refundable then they have to stick with that. The photographer may concede but I know I would not. In my eyes the client has seen the work the photographer produces. If the work is equal to the portfolio then too bad so sad. Also, I would be cautious working with people who would break a contract and want to go back on their word. But they are your friends, you know their character. Some people just think that the rules don't apply.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    Awkward. Whoof . . .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Dmanning wrote: »
    Well, I would encourage them to read back over the contract (assuming the photographer had one). If the contract clearly states that the fee is non-refundable then they have to stick with that. The photographer may concede but I know I would not. In my eyes the client has seen the work the photographer produces. If the work is equal to the portfolio then too bad so sad. Also, I would be cautious working with people who would break a contract and want to go back on their word. But they are your friends, you know their character. Some people just think that the rules don't apply.

Yeah I am little worried about how realistic they are about the photos they get. We are not friends as much as we sort of know each other. They also sort of know the other photographer. I saw a sample of their engagement photos and they are fine. Very professional...just a little edgy. He is VERY artistic to the point that I am not so sure his wedding photography style will appeal to a lot of people.

I think they are ok losing their deposit with him. They just don't want him to shoot their wedding. Talking with them about the possibility of shooting their wedding while they still have a contract with another photog feels wrong to me. Like I am going after his clients....
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I would be concerned that you may become "the other photographer" after the wedding. Make sure they are fully aware of what to expect from you beforehand.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Surfdog wrote: »
    I would be concerned that you may become "the other photographer" after the wedding. Make sure they are fully aware of what to expect from you beforehand.

+1, taking the time to really drive home the agreement to the client is huge. Another note, they came to you and they sound as if they don't intend on pursuing with him. I would just tell them that they need to communicate with the other photog and terminate their contract. I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I was the other guy. Maybe he's just not the one that should do that job. You could be doing him a favor.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Dmanning wrote: »
    +1, taking the time to really drive home the agreement to the client is huge. Another note, they came to you and they sound as if they don't intend on pursuing with him. I would just tell them that they need to communicate with the other photog and terminate their contract. I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I was the other guy. Maybe he's just not the one that should do that job. You could be doing him a favor.

I am not sure what you guys mean but "the other photographer". Before they get booked they will sign a contract and have seen samples of my work (they already have seen samples) and I will treat them the same as I would treat any other client.

I do they think they are doing everything above board. They are going to terminate their contract with him. I know they discussed their unhappiness with their engagement photos with him. I guess he gave zero direction...literally zero and it was, according to the couple a little awkward. they didn't want that awkwardness on their wedding day.

I do think this is a case of matching the wrong photog with the wrong couple. Like I said before he is a real creative guy whose style will only appeal to certain people. I personally like it. I can see how others would not. It was a mistake to begin with. Maybe I should tell them that I won't talk to them about using my services until they have everything cleared up with him.