Options

Slideshows busted

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited August 16, 2010 in Bug Reporting
Large slideshows are not displaying proper sizes for their images. If you look at my homepage: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/, you will see that many of the images are cut off on the top and bottom. The flash slideshow used to pick an appropriate size for the image so that it would fit in the container and now it is no longer doing that. Others are seeing the same problems. Something is now seriously wrong with lots and lots of people's homepages.

I happen to be using the stretchy slideshow customization, but all it does is position and size the flash container before it is created and initialized. The picking of the image sizes is entirely up to Smugmug's flash.

So, why did this change? Can it be fixed so that slideshow images are properly sized again? This is a pretty serious problem for many people's homepages who are using custom sized slideshows.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I asked Sam to look. We didn't change the slideshow, but it could be something else.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I asked Sam to look. We didn't change the slideshow, but it could be something else.
    Here's another reference that Dr. David reported: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1438511&postcount=429.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    Large slideshows are not displaying proper sizes for their images. If you look at my homepage: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/, you will see that many of the images are cut off on the top and bottom. The flash slideshow used to pick an appropriate size for the image so that it would fit in the container and now it is no longer doing that. Others are seeing the same problems. Something is now seriously wrong with lots and lots of people's homepages.

I happen to be using the stretchy slideshow customization, but all it does is position and size the flash container before it is created and initialized. The picking of the image sizes is entirely up to Smugmug's flash.

So, why did this change? Can it be fixed so that slideshow images are properly sized again? This is a pretty serious problem for many people's homepages who are using custom sized slideshows.

The slide show didn't change, but it looks like we might have a bug in the code it relies on. It's asking for custom sized images from our backend, but in certain circumstances we're returning images larger than what it asked for.

The pattern SEEMS to be: the image comes from a gallery that is marked as X3 being the largest allowed display size AND the requested image is larger than 960x960. Changing either of those parameters appears to work around the issue. We'll get it sorted out on the backend.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    cabbey wrote: »
    The slide show didn't change, but it looks like we might have a bug in the code it relies on. It's asking for custom sized images from our backend, but in certain circumstances we're returning images larger than what it asked for.

The pattern SEEMS to be: the image comes from a gallery that is marked as X3 being the largest allowed display size AND the requested image is larger than 960x960. Changing either of those parameters appears to work around the issue. We'll get it sorted out on the backend.
    Thanks cabbey. Let us know how soon it can be fixed.

P.S. Sounds like a great test case for an automatic test script as this isn't the only time something has broken on custom image sizes.

I've dropped my slideshow gallery to X2 to work around it in the meantime, but I'd like to get it back to X3 when I can.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    This was fixed shortly after I reported it, but I've been on vacation since. If anyone still has any problems with custom image sizes, please let us know.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2010
    cabbey wrote: »
    This was fixed shortly after I reported it, but I've been on vacation since. If anyone still has any problems with custom image sizes, please let us know.
    Seems to be working for me now. I set my gallery back to X3, cleared my browser cache and the slideshow is working normally. Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular