Spidy Revisited

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 12, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
The shot I took the other day of my local spider did not show it's better qualities. After a short discussion with spidy, it was decided that I would retake the pics. :rofl

5DMkII
70-200 f/2.8L IS Ver1
580EXII on camera
Hand held
Randy

Comments

• rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Cool pics -- that lower portion of him/her is huge!!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    These are AWESOME, Randy. clap.gif

Not sure where you hang your hat but I do know for certain, we ain't got them up here! (Vancouver, Canada)
    No clue as to what it is. ne_nau.gif
    edited August 12, 2010
    THIS JUST IN!

It googles as a juvenile, Southern Black Widow. http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1787.html

I think???
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    THIS JUST IN!

It googles as a juvenile, Southern Black Widow. http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1787.html

I think???

Here's what it is:

The spider species Argiope aurantia is commonly known as the Black and Yellow Garden Spider, Writing Spider, Banana Spider or Corn Spider. It is common to the lower 48 of the United States, Hawaii, southern Canada, Mexico, and Central America. They have distinctive yellow and black markings on their abdomens and a mostly white cephalothorax. Males range from 5 to 9 mm (.2-.35"); females from 19 to 28 mm (.75-1.1"). Like other members of Argiope they are considered harmless to humans.

Thanks for the research and the comments thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 12, 2010
    Cool pics -- that lower portion of him/her is huge!!

Thanks for the comments!
    Randy
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I'm glad it was you and not me taking those pics...you know it was waiting for you to get a bit closer...
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited August 12, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I'm glad it was you and not me taking those pics...you know it was waiting for you to get a bit closer...

Hmmm, it DID ask if I could help find it's dog eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    When I first saw this little guy in your round the house set of 3 I was
    wondering if you'd get back to him. And here he is. Excellent pics.
    Sharp is fine. thumb.gif I was thinking garden spider as we have a similar looking
    body type, different abdominal pattern, seen here once in awhile if one cares to look.
    Sometimes you don't even have to look. Just wade through some
    very tall grasses and you may find one on ya. Take a friend to let you know.
    Make sure they know CPR :D
    Michael
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    It's a spider, and a very nice looking one too! Great shots, Randy! Looks like you were able to focus pretty close with that zoom as they're almost like macros. Any thoughts about putting an extension tube on next time?

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited August 12, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    When I first saw this little guy in your round the house set of 3 I was
    wondering if you'd get back to him. And here he is. Excellent pics.
    Sharp is fine. thumb.gif I was thinking garden spider as we have a similar looking
    body type, different abdominal pattern, seen here once in awhile if one cares to look.
    Sometimes you don't even have to look. Just wade through some
    very tall grasses and you may find one on ya. Take a friend to let you know.
    Make sure they know CPR :D

Thanks Michael,

He/she doesn't bother any of us, so all's well thumb.gif
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Ishy...ishy....ishy....Randy that first photo gave me the willys. I know...it's a girl thing rolleyes1.gif

I hope you stood far away to get the shot -- they sure turned out really good thumb.gif
    edited August 12, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    It's a spider, and a very nice looking one too! Great shots, Randy! Looks like you were able to focus pretty close with that zoom as they're almost like macros. Any thoughts about putting an extension tube on next time?

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel,

I thought about it, but then decided to just shoot with the lens straight-up due to the fact that I'm not super comfortable with my tube set, on all my lenses yet. Seems to be an almost unknown amount of configurations with my different lenses and the three tubes.

I was concerned with DOF, and hand-holding for the shot. I couldn't get my tripod where I took the shots from, even if I wanted to use it. I'll have to do some experimenting with this lens and the different tubes.

My thought process worked for these images though. The huge 5DMkII files allow an amazing amount of cropping, and still have a very usable image. I knew that I'd never be printing these anyway. Heck, I've still not printed anything for my house. I can never decide rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking and the comments Joel thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 12, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Ishy...ishy....ishy....Randy that first photo gave me the willys. I know...it's a girl thing rolleyes1.gif

I hope you stood far away to get the shot -- they sure turned out really good thumb.gif

Hey Mary,

I was standing at the MFD (minimum focus distance) of my 70-200. I was lucky that spidey was facing away from the sun, this allowed nice back-lighting, so I used my flash for fill. Worked nicely!

Glad it gave you the willys, that means the shot worked thumb.gif
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I've been contemplating these shots, Randy. Not so much for the photography involved....and it is a nice series....but because of the far reaching implications in evidence here. Today it's spiders.....tomorrow it may be bats, then on to pit vipers, and who knows where it might end up. It tough to see a good man flirt with the dark side:D.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 12, 2010
    l-1787-6.jpgHere's what came off that link I posted. The pattern is slightly different but the text goes on to say that variants are numuerous AND normal. Is it possible that they are 'one in the same'?

ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
    edited August 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    l-1787-6.jpgHere's what came off that link I posted. The pattern is slightly different but the text goes on to say that variants are numuerous AND normal. Is it possible that they are 'one in the same'?

ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

As far as I know (and considering spiders = not much), all black widow spiders have that hour glass on their belly. My local spider does not.

I appreciate your research!
    Randy
    edited August 12, 2010
    I've been contemplating these shots, Randy. Not so much for the photography involved....and it is a nice series....but because of the far reaching implications in evidence here. Today it's spiders.....tomorrow it may be bats, then on to pit vipers, and who knows where it might end up. It tough to see a good man flirt with the dark side:D.

Tom

Laughing.gif Tom,

I'd better get back "in the box" for images. You've had to "contemplate" too many of my images of late rolleyes1.gif

If you don't stay on the cutting edge of who might be your next customer, how can you be prepared?

I'll assure you that I'm not turning into an arachnologist. (ha, ha... a big word!)
    Randy