Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Seems likely to me. Could also be false color IR at night. headscratch.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Thanks. Being so, I still need to improve my HDR PP adjustments aiming to turn it less evident...
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    RuiMLopes wrote: »
    Thanks. Being so, I still need to improve my HDR PP adjustments aiming to turn it less evident...
    Nah, this is great! Non grunge HDR.... totally realistic, to me! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    This is a very well done HDR. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that a group of photographer's can determine that this is HDR :D Knowing about light enables one to tell when the range of light in a photo goes beyond the average 5 or so stops even if it's well executed, which in this case it is. thumb.gif
    edited August 12, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Nah, this is great! Non grunge HDR.... totally realistic, to me! :D

Don
    karlabbott wrote: »
    This is a very well done HDR. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that a group of photographer's can determine that this is HDR :D Knowing about light enables one to tell when the range of light in a photo goes beyond the average 5 or so stops even if it's well executed, which in this case it is. thumb.gif

Thank you guys! I´ll try to keep improving my "photomatix skills" anyway!thumb.gif
    Rui

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    If your goal is to have a pic look like it is not HDR, then light it to goal and shoot it as a single exposure.

There are millions of examples of garish HDR photos out there. But that is not, necessarily, what an HDR photo looks like.

Using Photomatix (or CS5 moreso these days) to better approximate what my eye saw in a scene is my goal. If I was standing there looking at this scene, my eye could see the detail in the foreground (steps and wall on the right), could refocus and see the shadow details in the statue, and then do the same for the background building.

To get that in my camera, I either have to be Joe McNally with speedlites positioned all over the place and wizards spilling out of my pockets, or I have to use three-letter badword: HDR.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    It is an HDR yes.
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I think by asking the question in the way that you did, the responses might have been skewed. In other words, by asking if a photo appears to be an HDR photo, you've given away the answer.

If you're trying to minimize obviousness of you HDR application, it might be more valuable to post a few pictures, some HDR and some not, and ask viewers to pick which photos they think are the HDR photos.

Just my $.02.
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    I think by asking the question in the way that you did, the responses might have been skewed. In other words, by asking if a photo appears to be an HDR photo, you've given away the answer.

If you're trying to minimize obviousness of you HDR application, it might be more valuable to post a few pictures, some HDR and some not, and ask viewers to pick which photos they think are the HDR photos.

Just my $.02.

I agree with PilotBrad.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    FWIW I could tell it's an hdr by the halos. You can reduce those easily in Photomatix, assuming that is what you are using, by reducing strength and/or decreasing smoothing.
  • Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    The building in the background told me it was HDR, but that doesn't mean it was poorly done. If you're looking for natural, try downloading a free copy of Enfuse GUI. I just ran across it this past week and was pretty impressed for such a simple tool. Play with the adjustments just a bit, and you may get what you're looking for.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
    edited August 17, 2010
    ghinson wrote: »
    If your goal is to have a pic look like it is not HDR, then light it to goal and shoot it as a single exposure.

There are millions of examples of garish HDR photos out there. But that is not, necessarily, what an HDR photo looks like.

Using Photomatix (or CS5 moreso these days) to better approximate what my eye saw in a scene is my goal. If I was standing there looking at this scene, my eye could see the detail in the foreground (steps and wall on the right), could refocus and see the shadow details in the statue, and then do the same for the background building.

To get that in my camera, I either have to be Joe McNally with speedlites positioned all over the place and wizards spilling out of my pockets, or I have to use three-letter badword: HDR.
    It is an HDR yes.
    PilotBrad wrote: »

Just my $.02.
    FWIW I could tell it's an hdr by the halos. You can reduce those easily in Photomatix, assuming that is what you are using, by reducing strength and/or decreasing smoothing.
    The building in the background told me it was HDR, but that doesn't mean it was poorly done. If you're looking for natural, try downloading a free copy of Enfuse GUI. I just ran across it this past week and was pretty impressed for such a simple tool. Play with the adjustments just a bit, and you may get what you're looking for.
    bhogle wrote: »
    I agree with PilotBrad.

Sorry for the late reply, but I´ve been out of the country the last days.
    Yes, I also see it as an HDR but, more important to me, was to get your input and advice on how to reduce that evidence...
    Thanks a lot to all of you!thumb.gif
    Rui

• daq7daq7 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Sure it looks HDR. Does it matter? It does not look extremely unnatural.
    edited August 18, 2010
    daq7 wrote: »
    Sure it looks HDR. Does it matter? It does not look extremely unnatural.
    Thanks forcommenting
    Rui

• PaulOPaulO Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2010
    I'm also starting to look at how to get realistic HDR - mostly web research at this time (CS5 or Expose are looking more promising) and Yes - I do think this image has an HDR look, but less so than many. I would be thinking at making the following changes: darken right edge and perhaps the bottom a bit - no sense bringing light to parts that don't add value; increase the color temp of the background church (it is different than the rest of the image and it has that 'HDR' look more than the rest of the photo. Just my $.02.
    edited August 19, 2010
    PaulO wrote: »
    I'm also starting to look at how to get realistic HDR - mostly web research at this time (CS5 or Expose are looking more promising) and Yes - I do think this image has an HDR look, but less so than many. I would be thinking at making the following changes: darken right edge and perhaps the bottom a bit - no sense bringing light to parts that don't add value; increase the color temp of the background church (it is different than the rest of the image and it has that 'HDR' look more than the rest of the photo. Just my $.02.

I´ll try to follow your (and other) advices later at home to see how it may work.
    Thanks.
    Rui