A new primary..d300s

BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited August 13, 2010 in Cameras
Hello All, I just had to tell someone that I pushed the button and I will have a new d300s here tomorrow! I am just so excited.

Currently my setup is a D90 with a D60 as backup.

Now the D300s will be my primary and D90 secondary. Not sure yet what to do with the D60 as I dont think they command much of a price these days?? Cant hurt to have a 3rd backup right?:thumb

Anyways, after saving and saving the day is almost here and had to share it with you.

Photos should be up soon!

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Awesome, congrats! When I moved to my D300 from the D90, it was a much bigger step than I imagined it would be. The specs don't make the two bodies seem all that different, but the D90 feels like a toy now that I'm used to the larger body. I'm sure you'll love it!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    After you use the D300 for a little bit you probably won't want to use the D60, but it couldn't hurt to have it in a pinch. Congrats :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Awesome, congrats! When I moved to my D300 from the D90, it was a much bigger step than I imagined it would be. The specs don't make the two bodies seem all that different, but the D90 feels like a toy now that I'm used to the larger body. I'm sure you'll love it!

one thing the specs never can really show you is AF speed/accuracy. Also you never realize how important the 51 focal points are.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Qarik.

The 15 cross focus points are what sold me on this body. Not having many FX lenses, I opted for the 300s. The one thing I cant find and am dying to find out is if I can select only the 15 cross hair focus points to toggle between during single point af. Any insight into this?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    not a sport or BIF shooter..so no insight. Btw the focal point spread on the d300 is best in any DSLR (ie how much area the focus point cover). It's riduclous how big it is compared to "other brands". The D700 has teh same spread but with FF view so not as good.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • six2onesix2one Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    you are going to LOVE the d300s. i have taken almost 10k on mine in the last 2 months since new. this camera is amazing. i shoot alot of bikes at the track and other things and this camera is just the cats ass. i checked and the warranty extension to 3 years total (2 past factory) is only 150. i am not that good but this camera makes me feel like i have the tools to be as good as i can.

(forgive the green on some of them...was playing w/ adr settings)

I. LOVE. THIS. CAMERA. (and im willing to bet you do too!)

957094574_tLN2Q-L.jpg

957430264_H68yx-L.jpg

957480266_FazU4-L.jpg

957818844_Kxg5K-L.jpg

957856892_nNbhA-L.jpg

958089682_aDCgV-L.jpg

956157898_w2rJY-L.jpg

956010572_FvGCJ-L.jpg

955617650_qzQEM-L.jpg

955637658_X6VjY-L.jpg

955945112_DtfqF-L.jpg

952880291_UB6eA-L.jpg
    edited August 13, 2010
    oh, my first dslr was a d40...got it last year on black friday from newegg. i am keeping it around cause its LITERALLY 1/3 the size of this thing. however i havent picked up my d40 since. when i go places ill be shooting at i usually give my d40 to one of my friends to use. so far all my lenses are afs so its all gravy.

i NEEDED to upgrade to the d300s because of these reasons:

the lcd on the back of my d40 just is no where near accurate...histogram might look ok but if there is a slight blur you cant tell. the d300s is about perfect.

it was KILLING me trying to dig through menus to change focus settings and the other misc things that arent dedicated on the d40.

the d40 is SLLLOOWWW. the things i shoot are wayyyy too fast to suffer 2.5fps, the d300s is a machine gun.

at the track sometimes it starts to rain...the 300s is weather hardened and more durable...the 40 isnt. not that im going to play in the rain w/ it...but if i need to get shots in the wet it probably wont kill it.

i know the d40 isnt meant to be anything like the 300s or any other nikon camera, but the gap is SO large between these two bodies that its unreasonable. this camera stays completely out of your way and lets you focus on shooting, my d40 did not for me.

i dont think ill ever get rid of the 40, but unless i have some reason i cant take my 300s i wont be using it for anything really, its a good 2nd camera for friends to use.

i take my 300s w/ me everywhere i go. its worth the inconvenience.

oh, i bought this with it as well, adds some weight/bulk and wont work right w/ a batt grip...but its SOOO comfy and its protected even more. i never used the lens hood part.

when you get that camera post up some pics!!!

sorry for my little rant, but i wanted to give my 2cents on why i think you made the best possible decision on this camera even as an upgrade from the d90, even without knowing what you shoot. the only place for you to go after this is FX. you will love this camera.

for the record i have:

d300s
    d40
    18-55 (non vr)
    55-200 vr
    18-200 vr (new ver)
    70-300 vr
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Have fun with that new toy. I added the D300s to my arsenal of D50 and D1h and am enjoying the heck out of it.
    edited August 13, 2010
    The 300s just arrived to my office! I dont have a lens here with me to try it out though I have a quick question for 300s users.

The shutter button seems to press down pretty far. meaning, on my d90 there was a clear half press and a firm 'end' (for lack of a better term) final press. this button seems to go down pretty far.

Is that part of the weather sealing or could this possibly be a defect?
    edited August 13, 2010
    Bsimon wrote: »
    The 300s just arrived to my office! I dont have a lens here with me to try it out though I have a quick question for 300s users.

The shutter button seems to press down pretty far. meaning, on my d90 there was a clear half press and a firm 'end' (for lack of a better term) final press. this button seems to go down pretty far.

Is that part of the weather sealing or could this possibly be a defect?

its funny you say that, cause it was weird for me at first too. mine is the same exact way, really no feeling to the button at all, kinda soft the entire time. so i would think its normal, ive picked up 300s in best buy and they felt the same way too.

you will probably accidentally fire off extra shots sometimes, especially in high speed mode
    edited August 13, 2010
    phew, thank goodness its not a mistake. headed north tomorrow and wanted to take it with me!