Wind Farm Landscapes & a Happy Day

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited August 23, 2010 in Landscapes
Well they finally caught up with the 21st century round here and built a wind farm about 15 miles from me.
The NIMBYs weren't happy but now I've had the chance to get out to it a few times I can't see the problem (but then I don't live within a mile or so of it).

I posted a couple of these on Panoramio a few days ago and was contacted by a marketing type from the company that built & run it.
We spoke today and they want to buy the right to use the images on their website, for newspaper articles and to have printed & hung in their offices. :barb
The money isn't great but it is money and only for the licence (no print costs for me and they want to print big).
They have also told me they will buy the rights to others on the same basis and have sent the link to other interested parties.

Sorry for going on but this is my first "sale" so a major milestone for a non-pro.

Now to the images:
Here are a couple of the ones they saw on Panoramio.

947173029_uaZgw-L-1.jpg

966298313_DDPTv-L.jpg

Yesterday evening I went up again and for the first time saw the turbines active. I think these were the clincher.

967341364_ks5RQ-L.jpg

967343840_ZsqSg-L.jpg

967344893_FRJJd-L.jpg

967346951_LKsnj-L.jpg

967344452_5yyuK-L.jpg

#8 A low res version of a pano of the whole farm.
967346243_bk3i4-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Wonderful.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Great photos....just a thought....might try a HDR shot since you live so close.

When they are churning do you hear them cutting thru the air at all???

I have been around some here in Kansas that
    I could hear a thuuuump, thuuuump as they churned thru the air......from a little over 5 miles away and the people
    living close said that the turbines had made that noise from day 1....but like living near an air port they no longer hear it,
    unless someone like me brings it to their attention.

Thanks for the great pix.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Very cool! There's one being built near where I live so I may head over and see what I can get too.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    Peter, those are excellent shots. Love the various perspectives, and lighting in them. The slow-shutter speed to capture the blade motion was genius. Congrats on the sale!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Wonderful.
    Thanks John
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited August 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Great photos....just a thought....might try a HDR shot since you live so close.

When they are churning do you hear them cutting thru the air at all???

I have been around some here in Kansas that
    I could hear a thuuuump, thuuuump as they churned thru the air......from a little over 5 miles away and the people
    living close said that the turbines had made that noise from day 1....but like living near an air port they no longer hear it,
    unless someone like me brings it to their attention.

Thanks for the great pix.

Thanks Art.
    There is only a slight noise, definitely no thump, thump, from 300 yds you can barely hear it.

They asked me to shoot some stuff around the harvesting and though the site is closed to the public, because I was shooting for the company I was allowed right up into the farm and onto one of the pads (which is very close to a turbine) and I barely noticed the noise. When I get them processed I'll post a couple.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited August 23, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Very cool! There's one being built near where I live so I may head over and see what I can get too.
    Good luck Ceci, these are cool places and if you can get the right conditions they are a spectacular sight.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited August 23, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Peter, those are excellent shots. Love the various perspectives, and lighting in them. The slow-shutter speed to capture the blade motion was genius. Congrats on the sale!

Cheers,
    -joel
    Cheers Joel, when I went up the 2nd time I was determined to capture the blade motion. There were a lot of shots taken & I discovered that somewhere between 1/3 & 1/2 second gives usable motion. A longer than that & you get nothing at all of the blades (at least in the light I've had), much less than that & it just looks like the blades are oof.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited August 23, 2010
    Sorry it took so long to reply folks, work and repeated trips to the wind farm to try and capture the work of harvesting has taken up a lot of time. Haven't processed much yet but here are a couple that caught my eye as I was pulling them off the card.

980197590_ifHJT-L-1.jpg

980201568_4X9eh-L-1.jpg

980214047_E6h4f-L-1.jpg
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page