B&W Pay Binoculars at the beach

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 12, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hi guys,

Just got back from the beach, had a great time - took this one of the first days we were there - wanted to share it and get feedback.

967526938_WtSJ2-M.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I dunno about this one…

…it's nice, but all the interest is in the top left-hand corner, and my attention is drawn there; makes me wonder what was in your mind when you took the picture.

So what's the purpose of the picture, what are you trying to say?

(…hint composition)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    The thought was the coastal view using the tool pictured. I tried to compose it several ways with the binocs turned more so the "eyes" were to me, but I did not like that it produced.
    edited August 12, 2010
    I see your point, but really a picture will work better when the centre of interest of the picture is at or near a point one-third of the width or height of the frame (check Rule of Thirds)

…honestly I'm not just saying this for the sake of it or to be a Smart-Arse, but it's not for no reason that just about every major painter/photographer since the beginning of time has learned this amazing rule; go ahead, feel free to check it out!

There are certain rules or formulae which you can ignore if you wish, but you do so at your own risk! mwink.gif

Before the bleating from the peanut-gallery starts, try checking out some of the artists whose work you admire, and see how they do it…

…it's really quite easy in these 21st-Century days of the InterNet!

thumb.gif

- Wil
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I checked out other photographers and that is how I chose the crop that I made. Do you think that it would be better to take not such a close to the left crop and leave more of the ocean in the picture?
    edited August 12, 2010
    brvheart wrote: »
    I checked out other photographers and that is how I chose the crop that I made. Do you think that it would be better to take not such a close to the left crop and leave more of the ocean in the picture?

Yes.

I would have gone with landscape format, and keep the centre of interest ("eyes" of the binocular) away from the edge of the picture. The other thing is that the ocean (in your pic) is out of focus, pushing the viewer's attention more towards the things which are in focus (binocular "eyes") and the beautiful wood grain in the middle of your pic. Bear in mind there sometimes there's a danger of trying to get too much in the frame…

…yes I know I often say "fill the frame", but sometimes it's not what you put in, but what you leave out… rolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil
    edited August 12, 2010
    …and another thought:

I don't know if anyone was with you, but consider this:

The Pay Binocular looks sort of "Smiley-Face" when viewed straight on:

(1) A picture (landscape format) with the Pay Binocular in the left-half of the frame face on to the camera, and your companion (passer-by, whatever) in the right half of the frame, looking directly at the camera.

Click…

You now have two face-like shapes, one in each half of the frame.

…more:

Use a higher viewpoint (if possible) and now take (1) but with the ocean in the background…

…or even:

take (2) but put the f/g out of focus and have the ocean in sharp focus…

…etc. etc...

Just a couple of ideas…

thumb.gif

- Wil