Options

DSS #57 (Milk Bubbles)

kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited August 27, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been lurking in the sharp shooter challenges, but here goes my first attempt.

967752664_n5Pnh-L.jpg
Kristen

Comments

• Options
    silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    kris10jo wrote: »
    I've been lurking in the sharp shooter challenges, but here goes my first attempt.

967752664_n5Pnh-200x200.jpg

Very nice, I really like the "softness" of the image and the overall comp is very pleasing to the eye. Woderfull lighting and highlights of the bubbles and nice seperation of the image and back ground... very good image overall clap.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    what a great idea! I hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Thank you both for the feedback! I was worried this was too obvious for a milk shot. :)
    Kristen
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    I also like the idea (and it's a difficult challenge to do). I think the picture might benefit from "fixing" the yellowish/noisy tinge visible at the right bottom corner. I'd consider b/w, and/or color correction of some sort.

I also really like the effect at the left side of the glass, where we're seeing the shape formed by the bubble on the glass, refracted through the glass? I'd be interested in seeing whether shooting at different angles could enhance, spotlight that effect.

Have fun entering!
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Great idea! Although I find your image very interesting, a bright straw added to the glass would make people smile when they see it. Just my two cents.....
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    This is my first time entering a challenge, and I have uploaded my entry already. Is it too late to switch/update my entry?

Here are a few other perspectives of the same shot. Oh, and it includes the straw that I had cropped out! Great minds... ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!

968752162_2vdSN-L.jpg

968752560_iz2ai-L.jpg

968752736_WiAkS-M.jpg

968752693_vsGRm-M.jpg
    Kristen
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    I'd consider a solid color straw. #1 is cute, but the brown table doesn't do it justice. #4 is also cute, but needs to be a bit brighter.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Great idea! Although I find your image very interesting, a bright straw added to the glass would make people smile when they see it. Just my two cents.....

Leah was right. I smiled when I saw #4.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    I've desaturated the yellows, cleared out some of the noise, added a wee bit more contrast and brightened it up a touch.

Think it's headed in the right direction? Thanks again. :)

968993348_BPH75-L.jpg
    Kristen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Really like the redo - that little touch of color in the straw is great & it looks a lot better without the yellow cast.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    I've desaturated the yellows, cleared out some of the noise, added a wee bit more contrast and brightened it up a touch.

Think it's headed in the right direction? Thanks again. :)

968993348_BPH75-400x400.jpg

Kristen, it could very well be my eyes, but it may be worth double cking your level. I have the rim of the glass angling downward on the right side...just a hair. Again, it could just be me. Laughing.gif
    fun shot. and I like Leahs thought to add the straw.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Froch wrote: »
    Kristen, it could very well be my eyes, but it may be worth double cking your level. I have the rim of the glass angling downward on the right side...just a hair. Again, it could just be me. Laughing.gif
    fun shot. and I like Leahs thought to add the straw.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    I like the milk bubbles! nice......
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    i see it. thank you for pointing that out. It was just a hair, like you said. Does this look more balanced?

is there a record for the number of "Please delete me" requests in the DSS gallery? hahaha... I was trying to hurry and get my entry in because we have guests arriving today and staying for the week, but I should have been a little more patient before uploading y entry so quickly.

Lesson learned.

969290309_Yow2r-L.jpg
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    maybe it was too much. now it looks like it's leaning to the left to me.
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    maybe it was too much. now it looks like it's leaning to the left to me.

you have a problem here in that your background shades are not on the same level as the glass. I wondered if that was going to be the case. Both lines seem evident when you look at the image....Damn.

What I would do, and please, this is not me saying what you should do..Laughing.gif. Only me 'learning out loud'

But my process would be to see if I could find a happy medium, and if not, I may go into post and apply a bit of a gauss blur to the background to pull a bit more definition from those lines. Or reshoot.......but I guarantee I'm too lazy for that.... Laughing.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    I like how this one is evolving. Adding my 2 cents, I'd bump up the ocntrast just a tad. I think it might make the bubbles stand out even more.

I agree with the others, the straw really adds to the image.

Nice job first time around. Welcome to the Challenges.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    a little late to comment - I like #2 of the set with the straw showing the table.
    Also, the close-up bubbles is pretty neat too. It's been interesting to see the evolution. The only thing that I could possibly nit about that is the blinds in the bg - slightly distracting? Anyway, great shot!
    edited August 16, 2010
    I feel like there should be a bit more milk showing because right now the focus is bubbles. Also I agree with playing with different solid color straws too and the blinds are a distraction.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've been out of town and entertaining out-of-town family, so I wasn't able to really do anything with the constructive feedback. Will definitely pay more attention to those little details in the future!
    Kristen