Options

NEEDED: Tips on Shooting Night Sky

awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited August 14, 2010 in Technique
So, I missed this morning's meteor shower. I thought it was tonight, darnet! Anyway, I'm gonna shoot tomorrow night when the moon partners with Venus! Any tips on shooting the night sky welcome! :D

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    Tripod, cable release, keep your shutter speed shorter than 20-30 seconds, to prevent capturing the star movement - if you want sharp stars. Try ISO 1600, f4, at 20 or 30 seconds to start and adjust your shutter speed from there. If you shoot in Av mode, you may get under exposures if your shutter speed needs to be longer than 30 seconds. Shift to Manual Mode with bulb and a cable release to time your shutter speeds.

Here is one shot with a 24mm lens, ISO 1600 f5.6, 30 seconds, looking due North - Can you see the Big Dipper?

682177732_v8zoF-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Tripod, cable release, keep your shutter speed shorter than 20-30 seconds, to prevent capturing the star movement - if you want sharp stars. Try ISO 1600, f4, at 20 or 30 seconds to start and adjust your shutter speed from there. If you shoot in Av mode, you may get under exposures if your shutter speed needs to be longer than 30 seconds. Shift to Manual Mode with bulb and a cable release to time your shutter speeds.

Here is one shot with a 24mm lens, ISO 1600 f5.6, 30 seconds, looking due North - Can you see the Big Dipper?

682177732_v8zoF-XL.jpg
    Nice! Big dipper noticed. Thanks for the tips!! I'll post pics if I get any worth while!!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »

Yes, and it shows north to be to the left, which means we're looking east in this view, or perhaps northeast. nod.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 14, 2010
    Polaris should be about twice the length of the short distant side of the dipper, which would still be in this frame, so yes we are looking just east of due north. But not to the east.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin