Derailed

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 14, 2010
    Close, but not quite. My eye jumps from the rocks at the bottom to the curve at the top, skipping the middle. The color and detail are good and it's a pleasant light. The strongest element for me is the curve of the tracks. You could emphasize that by cropping to an 8x10 ratio, keeping the full width but eliminating from the bottom. You would still have some rocks there, but the overall composition would be improved and the gap in the rails would command greater attention.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Close, but not quite. My eye jumps from the rocks at the bottom to the curve at the top, skipping the middle. The color and detail are good and it's a pleasant light. The strongest element for me is the curve of the tracks. You could emphasize that by cropping to an 8x10 ratio, keeping the full width but eliminating from the bottom. You would still have some rocks there, but the overall composition would be improved and the gap in the rails would command greater attention.

x2.

As is, the STRONG lines are more emphasized due to the crop... I skip right through the image and jump off (out) at the top.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback! Here is the image with an 8x10 crop instead of the original 8x12:

970698714_YToyi-XL.jpg
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Pretty good improvement.... I *think* you could dig just a tad deeper into it from the bottom right corner. Perhaps trying to get 'the gap' as close to the upper 3rd line as possible, while keeping the entry of the track coming in some where at the bottom right corner of the frame...

I'd also try a B&W conversion to add to the run down look/feel - RR tracks seem to like that (MO).

This all would be 'fiddling', just to see where it could go but do you see how it came along so far?
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    I do see how things have come along -- thank you for your comments and help here. When I get a spare moment, I'll work on bringing this in even more to strengthen the impact of the composition and will repost.

Again -- thank you for your help! :D