Options

Focus Magic ???????

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Finishing School
Hey guys and gals,
I was reading a book on lowlight and night photography by Michael Freeman and he talks about using a program called Focus Magic. Has anyone use it, or knows if it's worth having?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    It is a great little plug-in. Unfortunately they don't have a Mac version :cry, I miss this tool.

Sam
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    It is a great little plug-in. Unfortunately they don't have a Mac version :cry, I miss this tool.

Sam
    yes , they have ; 3.01a is latest

edit
    you say you miss it ?
    on the site they say you can update for free
    http://www.focusmagic.com/download.htm
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    yes , they have ; 3.01a is latest

edit
    you say you miss it ?
    on the site they say you can update for free
    http://www.focusmagic.com/download.htm

Yes but it wont work with the new intel based Mac's. Unless you want to run rosetta. At least that's what i've read so far.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    Yes but it wont work with the new intel based Mac's. Unless you want to run rosetta. At least that's what i've read so far.

R.

They don't have a Mac version, but if your running windows on an Intel Mac I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Contact Focus Magic directly and they will respond.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Sam,
    that's what i did. I do have windows on my mac through Parallels so I guess I could do it that way, but I'll probably wait for the mac version when it comes out.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    Sam,
    that's what i did. I do have windows on my mac through Parallels so I guess I could do it that way, but I'll probably wait for the mac version when it comes out.

R.

I hear the Mac version will out the day after we pay off the national debt.

Sam
  • Options
    action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    I've used the plugin for a couple of years now. Handy little tool that does an amazingly good job with some pictures that may be a tad soft or out of focus. I've played with it comparing it to USM and many times I think the FocusMagic edit looks better. I often use it on select areas (lasso a section first, ie eyes or face) or with a mask so it doesn't do to much with the backgrounds.
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I've been thinking seriously about this plug-in, but they have not yet released a 64-bit version for Windows...

I'm glad to hear it is worth trying, however. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2010
    I've heard good things too. My question is though, what are they waiting for to get on the progress train. No 64 bit support, no Intel-Mac support, let's face it, these things haven't been introduced to the market yesterday.

R.