Options

stop copying

GEEDEEGEEDEE Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 21, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I want to stop the public copying my photos off my site. Is there a way of disabling the right click of the mouse, so they can't copy the photos?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    You can make the originals unavailable under "customise gallery" then go down to "Originals..yes...no"

Be aware that even though they can copy the smaller non originals from the computer...they are way low in resolution & wont print to anything that is of worth.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Or upgrade to a pro account.
  • Options
    quandriquandri Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2010
    stop copying
    It seems people still will take photos from the site even with watermarks just so they have something and not have to pay. Is there a simple way to stop this?
  • Options
    quandriquandri Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2010
    I have a pro account yet it seems people are still copying photos from the gallery. I must be missunderstanding the process someplace.
    I'm guessing you can upload a small photo yet still have access to a large photo for ordering purposes. Is this the case or is there another process?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 13, 2010
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    quandri wrote: »
    I have a pro account yet it seems people are still copying photos from the gallery. I must be missunderstanding the process someplace.
    I'm guessing you can upload a small photo yet still have access to a large photo for ordering purposes. Is this the case or is there another process?

Don't know if i got your question right but here is what is do:

If you have a pro account, Upload original file to gallery > activate some good thick watermark (smugmug's Proof) > enable right click protection> enable any size except Original in gallery settings, for max security i enable only small size.

In this way viewers will be able to see watermarked preview and if they order a print Original file will be used for printing without watermarking, only owner can access to non watermarked originals.

Even if viewers are able to copy images, watermark will save them.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Simply put, if you do not want it stolen, do not put it online.
    People will steal your photos. There are a million ways to do it, screenshots are one of the easiest.

Sure it has a logo, they don't care, watermark, phooey, unless the watermark covers about 60% of the photo it wont matter.

Expect it to be taken, minimize the loss by uploading and setting a smaller size, if you will lose money by it being stolen, include a full size 100% cover watermark that is 20% alpha, in this way you cover the image but give an idea of what it looks like.
    However don't expect to sell any.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    quandri wrote: »
    How do you know when people are copying photos? Just curious, because I thought the new ability to see when/where photos are linked would help, but it's not really showing which individual photos are linked. It just shows where people came from to get to our galleries, as far as I can tell. Also, as to your other question, you can upload a larger original but only have the smaller sizes displayed. In that way, you & your viewers can still order originals without having large sizes viewable.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    How do you know when people are copying photos?

I have used TinEye Reverse Image Search. It was quite depressing, though, when I saw how many sites had posted copies of my work and claimed it was theirs. I had some digital artwork that was stolen, and it's all over the web. I've asked as many as possible to take it down, per copyright infringement, but you can't get all of them--especially outside of the USA. The larger hosts like PhotoBucket and DeviantArt immediately removed the images when I asked. As far as individual people who have taken it, who knows?

I guess if it's any consolation, it's nice to know someone likes your stuff and wants to have it. rolleyes1.gif

Jean
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    A watermark truly helps.....it has to be something that shows...and is readable and not easily photoshoped out (that can be hard now with cs5 and it's content aware cloning)......
    Also a permanent signature is good also....a signature, not a copyright notice.....just like you would if someone bought your print and asked for you to sign it..........
    At least with the wwatermark it can show the website it came from.....my watermark: www.ARTSCOTTFOTOGRAFIE.com ......right down the center of the images in a multi colored wave......
    I have had a few complaints on the watermarks and I truly believe those were from people trying to steal....as I have received praise from a couple of publishers for trying to make my site as theft proof as possible
    It has not worked totally but any image taken gives me advertising...until I re-do the site here shortly...then all those links should break and images be gone from sites of theives...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website