Epson 4880 - Can I use a battery backup? (UPS)

RichardBrackinRichardBrackin Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Will the Epson 4880 work properly when attached to a battery backup / surge protector? Will it pull too much power from it and crash the printer?
We've been warned that the chips on the inks can be compromised by brownouts and surges on our new Epson 4880 printer, requiring a chip resetter device.

The reason I'm asking is our old Oki C9400DXN (LED) Laser Printer would crash out when it was attached to a battery backup when the fuser heated up. I assume that is not the case with the inkjet.

We're prone to wild fluctuations in our electrical current out here.

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    There have always been warnings against hooking up laser printers to a UPS because laser printers have those toner-melting heating elements that suck massive amounts of wattage that would drain a UPS very quickly.

But Inkjet printers don't print that way at all, so I am guessing you should be OK connecting it to the UPS. But to double-check you might compare the power specs for the laser vs the inkjet. If the inkjet is a fraction of the power requirements I'd say go for it. I have not tried to connect my Epson 3800 to my UPS.
  • kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I have an APC UPS between the wall and my Epson 7900. It operates without issue.
  • RichardBrackinRichardBrackin Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    It's working great with the battery backup. Thanks for the info everyone.