7D or 50D

larsonphotographylarsonphotography Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Cameras
My old relaible crop body had a date with destiny. The outcome was not favorable for the camera. That being said, I am in the market for another crop body. I am not looking for video as I have that on the 5D2 that I have.

So in your opinion, is the appx. $600 price tag worth the 7d over the 50D? If so, why?

I will mainly be shooting action of Vehicles, sporting events, some wildlife and very limited landscapes.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 13, 2010
    The AF section of the 7D is much more advanced than the 50D AF section, so the 7D would be more appropriate for sports and motorsports. There are also 2 image processors in the 7D versus 1 image processor in the 50D, which results in much better responsiveness. The meter is also much more advanced in the 7D.

For even better sports use, there are the Canon 1D series cameras. Even a lowly 1D MKII has features designed for sports and in low light, the 1D series beats the 7D by several measures. The 1D MKIV is the best sports camera Canon has ever designed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • larsonphotographylarsonphotography Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Thanks guys.

So Ziggy,

Will the L lenses fit on the 1d series? On the topic of the 1d2 or the 1d2n, what is the difference between the two?
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    I also faced that problem a few months ago.. got the 7D and I did not regret it! :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
    edited August 13, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Yup, they will, 1.3x crop factor.

the 1d2n from memory has the same sensor but larger \ upgraded screen and upgraded buffer for longer bursts, thats from memory however and it was a while ago.

That's correct. thumb.gif The 1D MKIIN also has "Picture Styles", which many folks seem to like.

... and I think that the 1D MKIIN AF is tweaked a little to be slightly less sensitive to extraneous movements in AI-Servo mode.
    ziggy53
  • tooltime47tooltime47 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's correct. thumb.gif The 1D MKIIN also has "Picture Styles", which many folks seem to like.

... and I think that the 1D MKIIN AF is tweaked a little to be slightly less sensitive to extraneous movements in AI-Servo mode.

I do like picture styles. If you shoot raw, I believe picture styles can be added to the 1dII files in DPP.
    edited August 18, 2010
    tooltime47 wrote: »
    I do like picture styles. If you shoot raw, I believe picture styles can be added to the 1dII files in DPP.

That's correct. Of course the 1D MKIIN has them in-camera so even in-camera JPG files can benefit.

I prefer to shoot RAW and to develop my own profiles and other basic processing in ACR, so I don't miss Picture Styles at all.
    ziggy53