Fishing for the light.

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited August 28, 2005 in People
As always your comments are apreciated.

This was one of those shots that I know had potential.

33784020-L.jpg

Comments

• KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Potential Indeed...
    Hi Eric,

You're right, this shot has tons of potential and looks really great with the white frame. I think you captured the light in the upper half very well, and the composition is very pleasing to the eye (by the way, what were you standing on to get this shot? - great angle). The only suggestion I would make, and it may be that the monitor I'm using at the moment is not top grade, would be to lighten the foreground a little bit to make it pop a notch or two.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,

Kevin K.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Thnxs Kevin,

I apreciate your comments. I leaning through a metal railing that sits on some rocks above this beach. I shoudl have made several exposures becuse the light was tricky but I got lazy. I will try shadow/highlights to lighten the foreground.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    I think it could be a wonderful photo. The mood, scale and the composition look great. I agree, the problem is that the subject of your shot, the fisherman, is almost lost in the gloom. Could be tricky to bring him up while not losing the overall flavor of the shot. I'll be interested to see what you can do.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Hi Eric...

I really like your title--very deep indeed; just like the fisherman--who is deep in the water, yet fishing for the light--yet he seems to get lost and can;t pull himself out (this is my philosophical interpretation) Maybe we can help him a bit with some extra contrast :)

Good composition.

MIchal
    edited August 28, 2005
    Thnxs everyone I apreciate your comments. I tried to bring teh fisherman out a bit more. This is the best I got so far..

33852477-L.jpg
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Nicely done. Did you shot this raw with the D2x? If so, couldn't you create exposure layers with various raw exposures?
    edited August 28, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nicely done. Did you shot this raw with the D2x? If so, couldn't you create exposure layers with various raw exposures?
    Thnxs Mitchell. Yes it was shot raw withe the D2x.. I could even do the layers in camera. I haven't taken the time to use that feature yet. I blended an exposure for the sky and water in post. The problem was the fisherman and exposing him properly while keeping the murkiness of the water around him. I am going to keep at it.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Afternoon Eric
    like the 2nd take so far :D
    the bright sky takes to much of my attention though. IMHO need more drama or color up there. ne_nau.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    very nice -- thumb.gif how about if you lose a little sky headscratch.gif about 1/2 now you know this comes from a guy who shoots bird butts :cry --no puppys :cry great shot thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/