• bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    coooooool
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Got anymore underwater frames?
  • Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    The clouds in #3 are great, and I'm impressed with the quality of the underwater shot.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
    edited August 15, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »
    Got anymore underwater frames?

yes...check these out:

1)
    890544224_JxrLf-L.jpg

2) i should probably make some local adjustments to this school of fish:
    891506703_QYJRC-L.jpg

3) i was only snorkeling, so it was hard to get close to this 4 foot moray eel
    893372768_soxhD-L.jpg

Believe it or not, the underwater frames are taken with a point and shoot. the canon D10 underwater camera. I took about 500 frames underwater, but only got about 10 that I thought were good enough to keep. camera shake was a problem. (Note how blurry the edges of the frames are).

for those that were keep-able, I took them into PS, converted to LAB, put a super L curve in and took the A and B channels in by 10 points or so. the D10 has an underwater setting and I thought that its color balance was very good, so I left that unchanged. I applied an unsharp mask to each through the L channel (generally radius 20-30 and amount 20) and then tinkered with the opacity.

I have snorkeled in both of the world's largest barrier reefs. Belize was special for big fish in big numbers (nurse sharks, eagle rays, etc) and for very clear water. Although, the coral variety was limited in belize.

Thanks for asking.
    edited August 15, 2010
    The clouds in #3 are great, and I'm impressed with the quality of the underwater shot.

thanks! I like the clouds too. the shot is actually HDR..and it only captures a portion of the depth and volume of the clouds. (any thoughts on post-processing to increase the depth/volume/strikingness?)

check out the non-HDR version:
    888027573_jJtbr-L.jpg
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    bhogle wrote: »
    yes...check these out:

Believe it or not, the underwater frames are taken with a point and shoot. the canon D10 underwater camera. I took about 500 frames underwater, but only got about 10 that I thought were good enough to keep. camera shake was a problem. (Note how blurry the edges of the frames are).

for those that were keep-able, I took them into PS, converted to LAB, put a super L curve in and took the A and B channels in by 10 points or so. the D10 has an underwater setting and I thought that its color balance was very good, so I left that unchanged. I applied an unsharp mask to each through the L channel (generally radius 20-30 and amount 20) and then tinkered with the opacity.

I have snorkeled in both of the world's largest barrier reefs. Belize was special for big fish in big numbers (nurse sharks, eagle rays, etc) and for very clear water. Although, the coral variety was limited in belize.

Thanks for asking.

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to have to try your workflow on some of mine. I also shoot a P&S underwater, and generally deeper than snorkel territory, so camera shake is more of an issue (less available light).
  • LottimagoLottimago Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2010
    Wow, I'm jealous. I love the underwater shots and the those crazy clouds they have down there. I went on a cruise in April but they canceled the Belize stop because of high winds. I was going to go snorkeling and try out my Ikelite case I got for my 5D. :(:
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Great set, and definitely love the underwater shots.
    edited August 19, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set, and definitely love the underwater shots.

Thanks hawkeye978!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    bhogle wrote: »
    A series:

Wow! bowdown.gif That first one is just amazing! Definitely a wall hanger. :D