Lens for macro photography?

dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,
I`m thinking of buying a macro lens. Would it be better if I buy it in Hong Kong (is it cheaper there?) and I`m thinking of getting the 100mm f/2.8 USM or the newer verion with IS.
Im asking if it`s worth spending 400$ for IS? and what other advantages does it have?

Are there any other macro lenses i should consider?:D
Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    dantambok wrote: »
    Hi,
    I`m thinking of buying a macro lens. Would it be better if I buy it in Hong Kong (is it cheaper there?) and I`m thinking of getting the 100mm f/2.8 USM or the newer verion with IS.
    Im asking if it`s worth spending 400$ for IS? and what other advantages does it have?

The IS won't help too much for anything you use a flash for and most macro ends up being flash-lit. If you plan on taking normal shots with it as well, I'd consider the IS for better low light performance. I have the non-IS version and I never find myself using it for anything that would need IS since flash covers it.

If you want to get as close as possible to any living thing, I'd not consider another macro since Canon makes the only non-extending macro for a Canon camera at that length and with that excellent IQ.

Lenses from Hong Kong are OK as long as you know the 1 year warranty applies to the U.S. They are still made by Canon and just sold internationally. Just make sure the seller isn't bogus first. I've bought all my lenses on ebay and any trouble has been taken care of since I bought from reputable sellers only.

I'd persoanlly get the plain 100mm and a killer $400 lighting system than spend $400 on IS

Oh and if you get it on ebay you can get %1-3 off with Ebates: http://www.ebates.com/
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    and btw.. im from the philippines and it`s more expensive here than in the states that`s why i`m planning to get it from hong kong.. You have a point, lighting would be better indeed :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010

J: Either lens is pretty darn good. I currently shoot with the 100 f2.8L IS, and have previously owned the 100 f2.8 Mk II, and have also shot with the older 100 f2.8 Mk I.

H: The L lens is definitely a bit sharper, and I like the overall IQ of the newer lens too. But many many great macros have been shot with the older lenses to be sure.

J: The AI Servo focusing is better in the new lens too (for Macros), and even on the 50D (which doesn't have the 7D's increased sampling rate) the focusing accuracy is in a word, startling. Your 7D should perform even better.

H: I also noticed you already have the 580EX II flash. That's what I use (prefer actually) for a lot of my Macros. Put a large diffuser/softbox on it to soften the light. it works very well.

J: The lens hood that comes with the 100 f2.8L IS is intended for normal range shooting (it's very deep), so I'd recommend getting one of the rubber fold-down hoods to use for close-ups and macros (I like the B+W brand).

H: Either lens really will work well for macros. The L will just perform a bit better. You are wise to choose the versatile 100mm focal length for starters. I also have the specialized MP-E65mm for the Really close stuff, but it wouldn't be suitable as a first/only macro lens (although its IQ is incomparable, it's definitely not versatile enough).

Best of luck!

J&H
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Give the sigma 150mm a glance as well mwink.gif

It's in about the same price range but gives more working distance (at the price of weight and maybe a difficult focal length for normal work). I use it as a medium telephoto lens as well and the IQ on both macro and normal work is amazing. It also focusses 'fast' (for a macro lens that is :D).

Just a suggestion. thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    For completeness you should check the Canon 180 Macro. At 1-1 it leaves you with about 9 inches between the front of the lens and the subject. That sometimes makes for less problems with shadows and keeps you a bit further from stingy things:D

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    For completeness you should check the Canon 180 Macro. At 1-1 it leaves you with about 9 inches between the front of the lens and the subject. That sometimes makes for less problems with shadows and keeps you a bit further from stingy things:D

not to mention that some bugs scare easily rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    and btw.. im from the philippines and it`s more expensive here than in the states that`s why i`m planning to get it from hong kong.. You have a point, lighting would be better indeed :D

Since that lens is sold in the Philippines, you will need to check with customs on how much the duty tax will be.......unless Philippines has an agreement to not charge for direct buys from Hong Kong......large ticket items usually get taxed before clearing customs........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Since that lens is sold in the Philippines, you will need to check with customs on how much the duty tax will be.......unless Philippines has an agreement to not charge for direct buys from Hong Kong......large ticket items usually get taxed before clearing customs........

Good Luck

We usually buy electronic when we buy from hong kong and when we get to the Philippines, they never bother to check.. so tax is not an issue rolleyes1.gif
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I see you have the 70-200 listed in your gear. A good option for that lens is the canon close up lens. It is called the 500d. It screws on like a filter and gets your working distance down to about 1 foot. Then you have a 70-200 zoom macro. And it is only $150. I have the nikon 105 macro too. It is a great lens, but on trips I always take my 500d.