San Francisco -Golden Gate

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited August 16, 2010 in Landscapes
Yes, the Golden Gate is a photography icon, and well over done...but it is fun. I had been years before, taking shots from the Golden Gate park, but this time I wanted to take them from the Marin Headlands side, with a plan to take photos of the city lights at nite as the backdrop.

I arrived 2 hours before the 'golden' hour:

946212287_NEknr-M.jpg

946213053_g5anR-M.jpg

Golden Hour then began to approach:

946216548_cFEmr-M.jpg

And I settled in, arranging my tripod and lining up shots for good city backdrop:

946218839_Akwg6-M.jpg

But, this is San Francisco, and the San Francisco Bay...so just as the sun was setting....

946215995_VsXB5-M.jpg

...my nemesis, FOG rolled in....

946219360_y3qNy-M.jpg

...and ruined any hope I had of city lights:

946220082_oARrv-M.jpg

Honestly, it went from sunny day to complete whiteout in about 15 mins. I was at the Headlands for about 3.5 hrs, and left disappointed, mostly because my location was not the best for the bridge, but really good for the city. Anyway, will try to get back in the fall, when there is less fog.

Put my gear away, and went and had my first In-N-Out burger, to cheer me up!

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Wonderful looking series!!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Thanks Grimace....lemons and lemonade
  • Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    An In-and-Out burger would cheer me up any time. I moved from California to Tennessee 5 years ago and crave those burgers! :D

Nice shots of the Golden Gate, even if you missed the perfect time. The fog in San Francisco has foiled me more than once. Try shooting from Fort Point if you get a chance sometime. Nice view.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.