The 28.8 Megapixel 5D Mark II ?!?!

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited August 25, 2010 in Cameras
I just have to share this story...

My wife and I took our daughter to the zoo today and at the very first exhibit there was a photographer taking photos of the bears and handing out business cards to anyone that wandered by (a little tacky if you ask me).

I was being friendly and asked him if he had gotten any good shots and he proceeded to show me one of his photos of the bears. I noticed his camera and said, "What are you shooting with, a 5D MkII?" To which he responded, "No it's a 1Ds Mk something." Even I know the difference between the two and said, "That's odd, because the body is short." To which he responded, "Yes I know, it's a 5D body, but it has a 1Ds sensor in it".

I figured this guy was just trying to BS what he thought was just some guy at the zoo (I didn't bring my DSLR with me), so thinking it would snap him out of BS mode I said, "Oh, I have a 7D." Amazingly, it only got worse.

He quickly responded with, "The 7D is no good." Now I don't really care what anyone thinks of the 7D, but I was stunned that anyone would be so rude to just say that to my face, especially after handing me their business card. He then went on to tell me all the camera bodies he has at home, but by that point I was starting to tune him out.

He continued unprovoked on his lunatic rant by then telling me that his camera was special ordered from Canon and he acknowledged that while it says 5D MkII on the outside, it was custom built for him with a full-frame 1Ds Mk whatever sensor in it and it was now 28.8 Megapixels. OK, sure, what-ever.

I was just about ready to challenge him about the sensor, but laughed it off and wished him good luck as a I turned and walked away.

There sure are some strange people out there.

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »

My wife and I took our daughter to the zoo today and at the very first exhibit there was a photographer taking photos of the bears and handing out business cards to anyone that wandered by (a little tacky if you ask me).

I was being friendly and asked him if he had gotten any good shots and he proceeded to show me one of his photos of the bears. I noticed his camera and said, "What you shooting with, a 5D MkII?" To which he responded, "No it's a 1Ds Mk something." Even I know the difference between the two and said, "That's odd, because the body is short." To which he responded, "Yes I know, it's a 5D body, but it has a 1Ds sensor in it".

I figured this guy was just trying to BS what he thought was just some guy at the zoo (I didn't bring my DSLR with me), so thinking it would snap him out of BS mode I said, "Oh, I have a 7D." Amazingly, it only got worse.

He quickly responded with, "The 7D is no good." Now, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the 7D, but I was stunned that anyone would be so rude to just say that to someone face, especially after handing me their business card. He then went on to tell me all the camera bodies he has at home, but by that point I was starting to tune him out.

He then continued unprovoked on his lunatic rant by then telling me that his camera was special ordered from Canon and he acknowledged that while it says 5D MkII on the outside, it was custom built for him with a full-frame 1Ds Mk whatever sensor in it, and that it was now 28.8 Megapixels. OK, sure, what-ever.

I was just about ready to challenge him about the sensor, but laughed it off and wished him good luck as a I turned and walked away.

There sure are some strange people out there.

Should have asked him how many miles per gallon it got
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Responses that could have been are always fun.....

"I had thought of getting one of those custom 28.8mp sensors, but until they fix that terrible anti-aliasing problem with it I'm gonna pass....."
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    He wants everyone to have his card so throw it on here! I would love to see his work.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »
    He wants everyone to have his card so throw it on here! I would love to see his work.

++++
    edited August 15, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    What a muppet :) technically it does have a sensor virtually identical to the 1ds3, I know there was some difference in the red channel noise between the two but really whats the crime in owning a 5d2 lol? the 5d2 and 7d are great cameras, the 5d2 is a little better than the 1ds3 in some ways although the 1ds3 is better in most. 28 mp is brilliant, I'll have to call my canon rep and tell them they screwed me lol I want the upgrade to the short body 1ds3 ;)

Yes lets demand 28mp cuz' the crazy guy with the cards SAID SO! *makes picket signs*
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »

I thought about it, but as crazy as he is, I can't be that cruel. I did check it out myself and there are a grand total of 4 images on it, two of which are severely OOF and the other two are underexposed. The camera looked like it had been taken out of the box yesterday, so my suspicion is that he became a "pro" with the purchase of the camera. Oh, and he does weddings! eek7.gifgiggle
    richy wrote: »
    What a muppet :)
    Laughing.gif! I'll definitely be using that one around the office this week. :D
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    You should have looked to see what mode he was shooting in... he probably had it set to full auto :giggle, I also usually look to see if the person is using a lens hood.
    Todd - My Photos
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    he probably had it set to full auto
    More likely it was on "P" for "Professional". :D
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Classic. I think I would have to occasionally call him for some comic relief. Pretend your a newbie just starting out and you had meet him and got his card at the zoo. Then ask him a technical photography related question. You could keep this thread going for years and it sure would be entertaining.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Sometimes I wish I had a stack of big huge stickers that say "INSECURE FANBOY" on them. I'd just go around slapping them on people's back as a prank at places like Photokina or PMA. Or weirdos like this...

:P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited August 16, 2010
    Call him up and ask "DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE NEW 50 MEGAPIXEL REBEL XSI?!"
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Maybe he is extremely wealthy and paid Canon to create a custom body for him? You can have anything with enough money. He spends his days walking the zoo to keep in touch with the commoners. mwink.gifrofl
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    When I worked in a fraud division, we had run into a crew that was operating under aliases sony, canon, epson etc etc, and they would sell a set of orders for the "custom built" hardware.
    now, the wait list would, usually, be close to 6-9 month, so they could get a good # of orders. then, then would send their victims original items, claiming "custom" performance.. And when asked, they would explain that they used the original, stock, body from a different "host" model, to save their victim costs..

Now, the markup for those items was quite often close to 400-500%..

But this guy has got to be an idiot.. and I do demand on seeing his site, now. *makes another picket sign*
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 16, 2010
    Rest assured, there is no such thing as a "custom" Canon 5D MKII that you can order from Canon. If it says Canon 5D MKII on the front it is 21 MPix.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    ...He quickly responded with, "The 7D is no good." Now I don't really care what anyone thinks of the 7D, but I was stunned that anyone would be so rude to just say that my face, .

...the 7D is really no good, really! ...I'll give you $1 million dollars, mmmm, make that $1 billion dollars for it. mwink.gif

Me, I'm such a rookie that I seek out advice rather than give out BS. Funny people out there!
    edited August 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Rest assured, there is no such thing as a "custom" Canon 5D MKII that you can order from Canon. If it says Canon 5D MKII on the front it is 21 MPix.
    Ziggy are you sure? I found one on eBay last night. :poke :D:giggle
    edited August 16, 2010
    Of course we're all overlooking one possibility here...

Maybe he is beta-tester for Canon's new cameras and the "Wacko-at-the-zoo" is a routine he uses to ward off curious photographers.

Yea, that must be it! mwink.gif
    edited August 16, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Maybe he is extremely wealthy and paid Canon to create a custom body for him? You can have anything with enough money. He spends his days walking the zoo to keep in touch with the commoners. mwink.gifrofl

OR you could go to leica and buy perfection that isnt 'custom'
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    I thought about it, but as crazy as he is, I can't be that cruel.
    This isn't about being "cruel". Isn't his business card public information? Why raise this issue then protect this clown? ne_nau.gif

Show us his card! nod.gif
    edited August 16, 2010
    This isn't about being "cruel". Isn't his business card public information? Why raise this issue then protect this clown? ne_nau.gif

Show us his card! nod.gif
    You're going to make me regret telling this story aren't you? naughty.gif Before anyone elses asks me to post it, let me get this out of the way.

I agree, simply posting his card wouldn't necessarily be considered cruel. However, while you may simply be curious, once posted the card and the story that goes along with it become internet history. Sure, you may not do or say anything to him, but I'm sure someone will see this and would just love to call him for a good taunting solely for their own enjoyment. He was (or is) a clown and I have no desire to protect him, but as ridiculous as his statements were it is not in my nature to contribute in such a way.

You will notice that in my original post I didn't raise this as an "issue"; No questions were asked, no assistance was solicited, and I am not trying to rid the world of bad photos one photographer at a time. I simply told a story thinking that others might get a chuckle out of it as I did. If that's not good enough, then I am sorry because that's all your going to get.

He is obviously a rooky and I have a strong suspicion that the market will weed him out rather quickly, but perhaps someday he'll figure it all out and be on the road to success.

Enuf said. :D
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Reminds me of the guitarist in "This is Spinal Tap" who had his Marshall amp mod'ed so all the controls went up to 11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the guitarist in "This is Spinal Tap" who had his Marshall amp mod'ed so all the controls went up to 11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY
    HECK YES! That's exactly what this is like. Laughing.gif I love that scene, so funny...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    What a joke -- funny story though :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    I got the water proof 24-105 L too:lol4

You believe or notmwink.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    ..."The 7D is no good." ...

I'm in love - The 7D is awesome: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_7D/video_review.shtml

http://philipbloom.net/2010/08/19/whichdslr/

"I prefer the full frame image out of the 5DmkII for sure, but the HDMI out is killing me, on a professional set it is just a big problem. Also it doesn’t have the 720p mode that all the other Canon cameras have. Although the 720p mode is not great due to the hideous aliasing and moire that it can bring up if not careful.

The 7D is probably the best all rounder. - Philip Bloom"

...I want one!
  • pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I have the 5d2 and the 7d. I'm not really qualified (or have a real need for FF and 21MP) to use the 5d2 so I just use it to get extra wide on my 17-40. Lol! Pathetic me. The 7d is a soldier...takes a beating and keeps on clicking.

As for the guy at the zoo.....it's a shame when two enthusiast can't have a decent conversation. I try to exit the discussion asap when things start to sound strange.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
    edited August 23, 2010
    poker wrote: »
    I have the 5d2 and the 7d. I'm not really qualified (or have a real need for FF and 21MP) to use the 5d2 so I just use it to get extra wide on my 17-40. Lol! Pathetic me. The 7d is a soldier...takes a beating and keeps on clicking.

As for the guy at the zoo.....it's a shame when two enthusiast can't have a decent conversation. I try to exit the discussion asap when things start to sound strange.

He wasn't even an enthusiast he was mimicing one
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    ah i hate bullshitters :D they take the blood from under my nails so to speak.

I encounter a lot of bullshitters, unfortunatly in my local camera shops.. eek7.gif
    People saying the 7d is no good and comparable in size to a rebel.. those kinds of things.. :crazy

makes it hard to trust those guys again
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    You should have looked to see what mode he was shooting in... he probably had it set to full auto :giggle, I also usually look to see if the person is using a lens hood.

Judging how good a photographer is by what mode they shoot in or if they are using a lens hood is almost as bad.rolleyes1.gif