Tucson Monsoon Lightshow

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited August 19, 2010 in Landscapes
We finally got a good couple waves of thunderstorms rolling through last night.

First an early tease:

971665693_ibCWU-L.jpg

971664627_krQuG-L.jpg

971667679_izNXL-L.jpg

Then the main event:

971699655_SavGy-L.jpg

971700331_XQD6c-L.jpg

971700889_GyQfN-L.jpg

971701189_bMgxf-L.jpg

Comments

• LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Love the second shot... and the lightning is just awesome. Capturing lightning is on my wishlist of things to photograph. Zero luck so far.

Beautiful!
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I have been waiting all summer for a good lightning storm. All the recent past ones had the lightning embedded in the rain so you couldn't get a clear shot. This one threw it all out front out in the open. clap.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Amazing!! The lightning shots are cool but I think this time I prefer the huge mushroomy clouds. This definitely was worth the wait thumb.gif
    edited August 16, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Amazing!! The lightning shots are cool but I think this time I prefer the huge mushroomy clouds. This definitely was worth the wait thumb.gif

Thanks Schmoo. The isolated downpours in the desert are cool. Unless you happen to be right underneath one. :wow

Here's another one for you. You can see on the bottom right of the rain column the dust being kicked up from the intensity.

971664180_FdFrj-L.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Super catch Brad. 2 plus the lightening shots are my favorites. clap.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 16, 2010
    Holy cow, great storm, BG, and you captured it very well!! That funnel in #2 is sick! :wow
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Thanks Schmoo. The isolated downpours in the desert are cool. Unless you happen to be right underneath one. :wow

Here's another one for you. You can see on the bottom right of the rain column the dust being kicked up from the intensity.

971664180_FdFrj-S.jpg

Yeow, so cool!! This makes me want to be a raincloud in my next life. lol3.gif
    edited August 16, 2010
    Thanks Dan and Joel.

I love the Arizona Monsoon season when it gets active. wings.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Great stuff Brad. I could see that light show from my parts last night. So far though we have been skunked over here. Only one night so far with any decent light. :cry
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Great stuff Brad. I could see that light show from my parts last night. So far though we have been skunked over here. Only one night so far with any decent light. :cry

Seriously. I am jealous of the storm and your pictures. I might as well give up lol. Great stuff as always!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited August 16, 2010
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Seriously. I am jealous of the storm and your pictures. I might as well give up lol. Great stuff as always!

Never give up! I look at the photos from Mt Rainier and I want to give up. :D

It just takes practice and the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time. There are so many places I want to visit to expand my opportunities. In time I may hit a few of them. ne_nau.gif
  • YetishotYetishot Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Super shots! I would be damned proud to have taken any of thoseclap.gif
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Very nice captures

Doug

http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/
    edited August 17, 2010
    Yetishot and Doug, thanks for looking and the comments. Fun stuff this hobby is. :D
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    They are all beautiful shots, but those lightning shots, wow, I love 'em! I think I've seen lightning like that only once up here.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Great stuff. #2 and that lightning is really amazing. Do you use a lightning trigger?
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
    edited August 19, 2010
    Thanks Kristine. Tucson gets some great lighting storms during the Monsoon season. When the lightning is out front leading the rain like this storm it's just asking to be captured. :D

Thanks Dog. No lightning trigger. I just wait for a storm front with a lot of activity in the same area and focus my camera on that. Then start shooting 15 second exposures at F8 and ISO100. I use a wireless remote trigger so I can just sit back and relax and keep shooting till I get something. This storm was so active I very seldom didn't get something in almost every shot.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    We finally got a good couple waves of thunderstorms rolling through last night.

Fantastic work! clap.gif I keep meaning to get out into that area this time of year to get monsoon shots, but so far it hasn't happened. Thanks for sharing these!
    edited August 19, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    Fantastic work! clap.gif I keep meaning to get out into that area this time of year to get monsoon shots, but so far it hasn't happened. Thanks for sharing these!

Thanks James. Coming from you that means a lot. I really enjoy your photography.

This year has been pretty hit or miss, mostly miss as far as the typical active storms so you didn't miss much this year. Come on out sometime. I'd love to see what you capture with your skills. wings.gif
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    IN

CRED

'BLE!

I'd call it a sequel to "Under the Tuscan Sun" - "Beneath the Tuscon Sky"
    [Note: Yes, I know that Tuscon is pronounced totally different from Tuscan, but there's only a one-letter difference, so they look the same when written]
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"