Two nights on Rainier and Perseids

siddsidd Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
edited August 19, 2010 in Landscapes
This is my first post here - hopefully you guys like it.

I went to Rainier on Thursday night with a group of friends to watch the meteors. We set up tent at Ohanapecosh, but ended up not sleeping there. Instead we drove to Backbone ridge, and watched the meteors from there. It was an awesome show.

Apologies about the big thumbnail - I need to fix that in smugmug.

Some photos from that night:

(1) Meteor

972051167_3XCHH-L.jpg

(2) Meteor

972326555_3M9tr-L.jpg

(3) Stacked star trails:

972055723_wE8Co-L.jpg

(4) And a time lapse video of the time we were there:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v92h3hZ6jic?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v92h3hZ6jic?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The second day me and my girlfriend went to sunrise point, as I wanted to get the mountain more in the picture. We were very lucky, as within 10 min of setting up the camera, I got a bright meteor appearing to land in Rainier. That was the brightest I had seen. I cannot say for sure whether it hit Rainier or not, but there are some interesting wisp of dust(?) cloud which suggests that it did. It was an awesome sight. Here is a shot, and the timelapse:

(5) Rainier

971861832_Qdnjj-L.jpg

(6) Timelapse of second day

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=14167281&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0&quot; /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=14167281&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href=" on Rainier</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4503242">Siddhartha Saha</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;

Thanks for looking.

-Siddhartha

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 16, 2010
    Welcome, and awesome first post! clap.gif

You got some great meteors there, Siddhartha. Your photography is excellent, and I really, really love the timelapse videos. Any chance I could get you to tell us how you did those? ear.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    That little "after trail" swirly thing is mind boggling. Nice work.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Welp - gonna trash my time lapse now Laughing.gif. These are AWESOME. And it does look like a meteor impacted Mt. Rainier. That is wild. I am sure it didn't but it sure looks like it. Would have seen an ejection of material and probably a bit more of a bright flash due to the speeds. More than likely the vaporization trail was blown away from the upper currents. And your perspective was perfect/lucky. When a meteor burns up in the atmosphere it ionizes the surrounding gases - hence different colors from oxygen, nitrogen, argon and other traces all burn at different temps and colors.

Great photos and great captures. I was also at sunrise but the night before and also suffered from the car lights.

And welcome to the forums!
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Love the time lapses! From someone who didn't get to witness any it makes me feel like I saw it.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Robbug wrote: »
    Welp - gonna trash my time lapse now Laughing.gif. These are AWESOME. And it does look like a meteor impacted Mt. Rainier. That is wild. I am sure it didn't but it sure looks like it. Would have seen an ejection of material and probably a bit more of a bright flash due to the speeds. More than likely the vaporization trail was blown away from the upper currents. And your perspective was perfect/lucky. When a meteor burns up in the atmosphere it ionizes the surrounding gases - hence different colors from oxygen, nitrogen, argon and other traces all burn at different temps and colors.

Great photos and great captures. I was also at sunrise but the night before and also suffered from the car lights.

And welcome to the forums!

I love that we have a resident astronomer to explain this stuff in detail!

Sidd your shots are just incredible and your time lapses are completely humbling... not just in skill of capturing and putting them together, but in that it makes us aware of how small our tiny place is in the vast universe. (What does it meeeean???)
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Fabulous. Amazing time lapses. I would love to know your intervalometer/exposure settings. Are these something like 25 sec exposures, f2.8, high ISO, and shot every 30 sec or so on the timer? If it is a long exposure, I am having trouble seeing how the twirly vapor trail even showed up. Teach us!!!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Outstanding images.

I too was in the park Thursday night, but I am going to have to do a lot more studying to come up with something even close to what you captured. I had better luck with the sunrise from Tipsoo Lake.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Welcome! Great shots you've got there. Can't wait to see more.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    These shots are great and the time lapse is amazing - the one that "hits" Rainier - Holy Smokes! clap.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Welcome. Excellent shots. #5 is my favorite. clap.gifclap
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Fantastic!thumb.gif

Love the video.iloveyou.gif
  • siddsidd Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Thanks all for the encouraging comments!
    kdog wrote: »
    Welcome, and awesome first post! clap.gif

You got some great meteors there, Siddhartha. Your photography is excellent, and I really, really love the timelapse videos. Any chance I could get you to tell us how you did those? ear.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    ghinson wrote: »
    Fabulous. Amazing time lapses. I would love to know your intervalometer/exposure settings. Are these something like 25 sec exposures, f2.8, high ISO, and shot every 30 sec or so on the timer? If it is a long exposure, I am having trouble seeing how the twirly vapor trail even showed up. Teach us!!!

I was shooting with two cameras (1DIII and 5DII)- and both of them were on very high iso (3200), wide aperture (2.0 and 2.8). I think the exposure time was between 15-30 sec. I have seen anything more than 30sec - the starts stars to visibly move creating the trail. I wanted crisp stars with the meteor streak if I could - and I just got lucky. I had to spend to sleepless nights in a row though :)

I recently started dabbling in video - so the time lapse was created in Premiere Pro from the sequence of stills.

-Sidd
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Good grief. You can actually see a smoke trail after it hits the peak. That's nuts!
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    One of the most impressive things I've seen! Great Job.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Wow. These are fantastic! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    These are absolutely awesome! Love the timelapse, and the perseid and Rainier is perfect. Well done!
  • nowandthennowandthen Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Thanks for the inspiration.