Options

To or not to

silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited August 22, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Watermarking is the question.. does watermarking take away from the image???

969931382_JXpcu-M-6.jpg

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    silvereye wrote: »

969931382_JXpcu-M-6.jpg

Yes, it takes away! It is rare that it doesn't. But sometimes you have to watermark. Many folks who do, do it opaquely and that tends to help.
    tom wise
  • Options
    BiffbradfordBiffbradford Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    silvereye wrote: »

969931382_JXpcu-M-6.jpg

It depends. If you're selling photos online, then YES - you watermark. Right across the center. Just yesterday I had some photos stolen right off my site and posted on a major tournament web site with my watermark very poorly altered. I emailed them and told them either pay the licensing fee (very very reasonable) or take them down. They took them down.

Other photos I post on Facebook without a watermark fully knowing that they will be used without any photo credit to me ... and they are. I even ran across one in a sports news site from France.

IMO, a good watermark does detract from the image - it's supposed to! Photo credit is worthless to everyone except other photographers.
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I agree with Bill. I'd definately watermark your images, and move it to the mddle of the photograph. If you want, you could make it semi-transparent that way it doesn't detract from the image as much. Yes it is supposed to detract from the image, that's the point of a watermark. Watch where you put it though, because where it is right now, it's so easy for someone to edit that mark out. I'd make sure you put the watermark on something that has a lot of detail. That way when they try to use Photoshop or Paintshop Pro to remove the watermark, it ruins the photo.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    hunter349hunter349 Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    watermarking
    Watermarking really depends on how you intend to use your images. If they are just in your portfolio I would stay away from a watermark. What I do with my images is I have created a very small (about 10x10 pixels) but easily identifiable logo that I put into some of my photographs with a low opacity. If you put it in grass, trees, or another busy part of your image it is almost completely invisible. I usually but 2 or 3 throughout the image.

The best way though is to officially have your images copyrighted. You can send in a DVD with literally thousands of images (thumbnail size but must be identifiable) to the national archives for I think $30 a DVD. If you ever find someone using your images you can send them a cease and desist letter letting them know that your images are copyrighted and you will have a leg to stand on if you ever have to take them to court.

Most people who would use your images are just as easily able to remove your water mark as you are able to put it on.
  • Options
    silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Thanks for all the great info... it helps to see what other people are doing