DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited August 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Sun goes down.
971834378_ZiUb3-XL.jpg

972265416_AEczt-XL.jpg

The Moon follows a while later.
Both shots here are considerable crops.
972562446_yeumq-XL.jpg

Just kissing the horizon. Lots of atmospheric distortion. Color out of camera.
972497842_zZ5pb-XL.jpg

Moon left. To the lower right we have Venus which is the brighter point,
then Mars at its 11 o'clock and Saturn out right there at about 3 o'clock.
972581757_rUXhu-XL.jpg

972299195_ezxnv-XL.jpg

972518555_x3ExD-XL.jpg

Galactic Downtown. Direction of our Galaxy's center.
30mm prime. f1.4 @ 30 sec 1600 ISO
972285532_qNm8X-XL.jpg

For all the pictures I took not one Persied meteor crossed where my camera was directed.
Had I been taking pictures the night of the peek where upwards of 175 meteors per hours recorded
I might have gotten something to write home about. I was out and watching the numerous
meteors that night with glee. But circumstances left me with no camera that evening.
The next two nights netted no Persieds though we saw many. Will try try again.
Something will come along as it has in the past.

Thanks for looking. :D
Michael

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 17, 2010
    Those meteors are camera shy, aren't they? But you really cool pics just the same.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Those meteors are camera shy, aren't they? But you really cool pics just the same.
    rolleyes1.gifShy as all get out in my frames. I was disappointed so many times
    as I watched them pass by just out time and time again. Gads. :cry :D
    Thanks for the kind note of the other pics. Did get to walk away with just
    a little something to remember the event by.
    Michael
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Hi Michael........Nice series........Favorite, would be the last one:D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    There's nothing like an eclectic offering from Michael to help my day along.
    I find both of the first shots to be really appealing, particularly the second one....that thing would be on my wall. I'd crop out the FG on the first so that it looked almost like a pano shot....it could also be a powerful wall shot. Real good work, Michael.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 17, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Hi Michael........Nice series........Favorite, would be the last one:D
    Thanks for saying Gary. Pretty nice. That particular shot you mention is likely the best one I've ever done.
    A friend loaned me the lens to get it this well.
    So ya know I have to be happy with it too. :D And I am. Saved it for last.
    Michael
    edited August 17, 2010
    There's nothing like an eclectic offering from Michael to help my day along.
    I find both of the first shots to be really appealing, particularly the second one....that thing would be on my wall. I'd crop out the FG on the first so that it looked almost like a pano shot....it could also be a powerful wall shot. Real good work, Michael.

Take care,

Tom
    :D:D:D Eclectic for sure. rolleyes1.gifI've owned up to being just that for years now. My wife even cuts me slack these days. I still don't get to touch much in the house. But hey I'm good with that. I got my cave.
    Delighted you find the first ones as decent working shots. I'll have to go back and redial in the first and see what comes of it. Maybe good things.
    Take out the intentional soft look some. Never make it as is large I think.
    Appreciate your feedback Tom. Thank you there. :D
    Michael
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Totally awesome pics.

So, did you get this one with no stacking or anything? eek7.gif Would you recommend a 11-16 2.8 or a 35 1.8 to shoot the sky like that? ne_nau.gif I'm getting excited about space again.

972285532_qNm8X-XL.jpg
    edited August 27, 2010
    Totally awesome pics.

So, did you get this one with no stacking or anything? eek7.gif Would you recommend a 11-16 2.8 or a 35 1.8 to shoot the sky like that? ne_nau.gif I'm getting excited about space again.
    No stacking. Single shot off tripod to this. (The 30mm 1.4 I used was loaned to me that night. So I gave it a go. It worked fine as it gathered one hell of a light fast. But at 30mm 1.4 @ 1600iso in 30 sec the stars are just ever so slightly streaked left to right. Not a huge deal as seen mediumish.)
    Will try stacking at another time though.
    Somewhere here in Other Cool Shots a fellow member pointed to a PS
    action to help make the stacking effort near effortless. In his he used over
    500 frames in his very nice star trails picture. So I will be digging up that action when I try stacking doing similar.
    Either lens you mention with net you something shot wide open. Experiment for result in whatever your trying to dial in with the night sky.
    For the Milkyway shot I would favor your 11-16 2.8 shot wide open. The
    other key is finding that near absolute dark sky shooting location. City
    light domes are killer to such a picture. Surprising enough though other
    times a small light dome with a night shot will give up something interesting. Especially to horizon lines.
    Lastly I will mention that while I was shooting off a static tripod with his lens my friend was using his 10-20 on a telescope right ascension tracking device for 5 to 10 minute exposures in single frame. His 5 minute shot
    being the best. Actually excellent shot. I will be setting up my RA device
    to do that shortly. Then, as you know, any lens you want to use can be mounted on it and the stars will be steady pin points of light. Hope this
    is of help to you.
    Very cool that your getting reinterested in the night sky photography.
    I know I have really enjoyed it too. Once in awhile a cool shot comes
    along. There are so many really nice ones to be found here on dgrin too.
    Michael