Great bundle vs. Higher Quality Camera

helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited August 19, 2010 in Cameras
Hello.

I know I haven't posted here in a while, and likely most of you don't even know who I am. But that's fine.

Anyway, I'm at a loss here. There is a great deal in the Future Shop flyer. I can get the Canon T1i plus an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, an EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and a Speedlight 270 EX. I can get this bundle for $949.00. BUT, I can get the Canon T2i with 18-55mm lens for $929.00.

What do you think I should get? The bundle with the two lenses and extra flash, but lower quality camera, OR the higher quality camera with just the 18-55mm lens?

Thanks for any insight.
-Brandon

Flickr
My Gear

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    helloyo53 wrote: »
    Hello.

I know I haven't posted here in a while, and likely most of you don't even know who I am. But that's fine.

Anyway, I'm at a loss here. There is a great deal in the Future Shop flyer. I can get the Canon T1i plus an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, an EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and a Speedlight 270 EX. I can get this bundle for $949.00. BUT, I can get the Canon T2i with 18-55mm lens for $929.00.

What do you think I should get? The bundle with the two lenses and extra flash, but lower quality camera, OR the higher quality camera with just the 18-55mm lens?

Thanks for any insight.

Hey!

You should check this thread first: Shady market?
    Honestly the deal you are getting sounds way too good to be true. So check out the seller's ratings, as future shop sounds kinda fishy. I could be wrong, but it never hurts to check what other buyers have said about the place.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Hey!

You should check this thread first: Shady market?
    Honestly the deal you are getting sounds way too good to be true. So check out the seller's ratings, as future shop sounds kinda fishy. I could be wrong, but it never hurts to check what other buyers have said about the place.

Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me at all, actually. At B&H, just adding those items individually to the cart totals $944, with free shipping.

The T2i with 18-55 IS lens is $899. Add the 50 prime ($99) and the 270 EX ($144) if desired, for not all that much more than this special deal price.

Adorama has similar pricing, and often has better package deals with things like memory cards, extra batteries, and bags included.

I'd recommend sticking with the biggies and avoiding flyer "deals" like this.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • RoyGBivRoyGBiv Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me at all, actually. At B&H, just adding those items individually to the cart totals $944, with free shipping.

The T2i with 18-55 IS lens is $899. Add the 50 prime ($99) and the 270 EX ($144) if desired, for not all that much more than this special deal price.

Adorama has similar pricing, and often has better package deals with things like memory cards, extra batteries, and bags included.

I'd recommend sticking with the biggies and avoiding flyer "deals" like this.
    And the speedlight 270ex doesn't bounce, so it's essentially of $0 value to me. That's generally the problem I have with buying bundles...there's always something in there that I wouldn't have bought if it were entirely my own selection.
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    So you're basically saying that it would be a better idea to go with the T2i with 18-55mm lens? I could probably save up for a 50mm lens or 270EX if I really wanted it I guess.
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    So you're basically saying that it would be a better idea to go with the T2i with 18-55mm lens? I could probably save up for a 50mm lens or 270EX if I really wanted it I guess.

always stretch yourself to get the best quaility you can initially afford imo. you will save yourself a lot of money and time in the long run.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Hello.

Thanks for any insight.

Part of the opinions you have been getting could be because they (and myself) are located in the US. Where are you? I seem to remember seeing references to Future Shop as a UK company?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Jane B. wrote: »
    Part of the opinions you have been getting could be because they (and myself) are located in the US. Where are you? I seem to remember seeing references to Future Shop as a UK company?

Future Shop is basically the Canadian Best Buy. I think they are owned by Best Buy, actually.

I lived in Saskatchewan for 5 years, and other than one great camera shop in town (Don's Photo) that I overspent at occasionally, I generally just ordered from B&H. Prices in Canada are insane.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010

Look at the differences b/t the T1i and the T2i. Figure out what is significant for the type of shooting you want to do. Are they enough to justify the extra cost to you?

I shoot Nikon, so I don't really know those cameras, other than some research I did for my sister who recently bought a T2i (and loves it).

Either way, you're considering getting the same 18-55 lens, so only the performance of the body should be considered. I've also heard around DGrin that the 50 f/1.8 II really isn't a very stellar lens, and I agree with the comment about the 270 EX not really being a great flash if it doesn't bounce.

Maybe for your needs, the T1i will be sufficient, and you can put the extra money into a savings fund until you can afford a really nice lens, like maybe a 50 f/1.4 or one of the higher up model flashes.

None of us can tell you which body will be best for your needs, only you know how you want to use the camera.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited August 18, 2010
    For those who are not familiar with Future Shop, this is the website: http://www.futureshop.ca (Grainbelt is right, Future Shop is basically the Canadian Best Buy).

Here is the flyer in which the camera deal is in: http://fts.ca.flyerservices.com/cached_Banner_pages/publication.aspx?BannerName=FUTS (In Postal Code, just enter N7S3X9 , click on the August 13 2010 to August 19 2010 flyer, and go to page 20).
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    cab.in.boston is right on the money - you have to make a checklist of what you plan on shooting with the new camera (sports? family snaps? formal portaits? weddings? landscapes?) and then compare the features that each camera has to see which is the best fit.

Qarik also said get the best camera you can afford - he's right, if you need the features that the best, newest camera offers. In my opinion (and this is mainly if you want to someday charge for your photography), buying great glass (f/2.8 pro glass or large aperture primes such as f/2.0 f/1.8 or f/1.4 etc.) is more important than upgrading to the newest body. Great glass is expensive, but well-built and will last for decades if properly maintained. The only exception is if you need that new body for a specific type of shooting, such as high ISO for low-light photography, such as sports, dance, or weddings.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Look at the differences b/t the T1i and the T2i. Figure out what is significant for the type of shooting you want to do. Are they enough to justify the extra cost to you?

I shoot Nikon, so I don't really know those cameras, other than some research I did for my sister who recently bought a T2i (and loves it).

Either way, you're considering getting the same 18-55 lens, so only the performance of the body should be considered. I've also heard around DGrin that the 50 f/1.8 II really isn't a very stellar lens, and I agree with the comment about the 270 EX not really being a great flash if it doesn't bounce.

Maybe for your needs, the T1i will be sufficient, and you can put the extra money into a savings fund until you can afford a really nice lens, like maybe a 50 f/1.4 or one of the higher up model flashes.

None of us can tell you which body will be best for your needs, only you know how you want to use the camera.

The OP may have to pay duties to get items from B&H back to Canada........it may be less for us to shop at B&H but we forget that our governments like to tax us for shopping outta country.......or even outta state at times........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The OP may have to pay duties to get items from B&H back to Canada........it may be less for us to shop at B&H but we forget that our governments like to tax us for shopping outta country.......or even outta state at times........

No duty on shipments to Canada. If shipped using US Postal Service -> Canada Post, no brokerage fee either. Only surcharge is 5% GST (Federal sales tax)

A reputable Canadian online dealer is Vistek out of Toronto.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    No duty on shipments to Canada. If shipped using US Postal Service -> Canada Post, no brokerage fee either. Only surcharge is 5% GST (Federal sales tax)

A reputable Canadian online dealer is Vistek out of Toronto.

Glad to hear that there is no duty........

As to Vistek...they are a Scourge to me....they came into Wichita and bought up profitable photo labs and without warning to customer or any employees shut the businesses down ....I had just dropped off several portraits and a wedding ........GOT MY FILM back and that was only because one of the employee say my envelopes and Spirited it back to me.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 18, 2010
    Unfortunately, buying online is not an option for me. I'm not old enough to have a credit card, and my parents will not buy online (though I tell them many times about the great deals you can get online). So online won't work for me.
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Some great advice here, but have to correct the idea that the 50mm 1.8 isn't a great lens. For the money, it's nothing short of astonishing and at that price one can live with its shortcomings, very few of which are to do with the image quality, which is outstanding once you learn how to shoot with it. The (frequently cited) drawbacks are that it's made of plastic, and it can be finicky (and noisy) to focus, but other than that it's a really great lens to start out with.

FWIW.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Some great advice here, but have to correct the idea that the 50mm 1.8 isn't a great lens. For the money, it's nothing short of astonishing and at that price one can live with its shortcomings, very few of which are to do with the image quality, which is outstanding once you learn how to shoot with it. The (frequently cited) drawbacks are that it's made of plastic, and it can be finicky (and noisy) to focus, but other than that it's a really great lens to start out with.

FWIW.

Good luck with your purchase!

The 50mm F1.8 it has fantastic IQ for the price. I'd choose it for my first starter prime for sure
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I'd save your money and not purchase the 270ex. Save up for a better flash that actually has the ability to bounce. To me, the beauty of an off-camera flash is that you can point the head where you want it. Otherwise, you can mostly get by with the on-camera.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    I'd save your money and not purchase the 270ex. Save up for a better flash that actually has the ability to bounce. To me, the beauty of an off-camera flash is that you can point the head where you want it. Otherwise, you can mostly get by with the on-camera.

I'll agree don't get the Canon 270ex, if you're looking for budget flashes consider the Yongnuo flashes - ETTL, manual controls, etc. around $60
  • wave5wave5 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    best buy is cheaper than future shop, u should check there too
  • RoyGBivRoyGBiv Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    or a used 430ex maybe? Good call on not getting the 270, other than being a bit stronger and a bit further away from the lens, its not much use.
    The nice thing about the 430ex (besides the bounce/swivel aspect) is that it uses a legitimate 6volt 4-battery arrangement that matches the 580ex. Performance-wise, by itself, it is still a peppy unit. And if you ever do end up slaving it, it works well as a flash system w/ the larger 580ex, as opposed to other brands, that pair up slower 3v slaves w/ 6v masters.