Mam Tor & Shivering mountain from Peveril Castle

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Landscapes
A recent venture out into the Peak District yielded this shot (amongst others). What do you think of this?

4901125340_c9986cc4f3_b.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Nice scene and comp but at least on my laptop screen the sky in the center seems to have a lot of aqua color that would not normally be seen in the sky. This might just be my laptop screen though.headscratch.gif
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Nice scene and comp but at least on my laptop screen the sky in the center seems to have a lot of aqua color that would not normally be seen in the sky. This might just be my laptop screen though.headscratch.gif

It would appear that it is not just you...Several other viewers have seen that, too. I'm colour blind, so it looked fine to me! eek7.gif

I am certain that, with this shot I didn't adjust colours other than a little "levels" and a tiny bit of "saturation". This is an HDR, so wonder if it's something from that? I'll have a second go at it from the RAW files and see...
    edited August 17, 2010
    Being color blind would add quite a challenge. :-) I agree it may have come from the HDR processing. I have seen that some my HDR processing as well. If using Photomatix keep the color saturation tuned down a bit and see if that helps.

One other idea that might improve the image would be to use a gradient filter in LR (if you use that) to lower the exposure in the sky. The clouds are a bit hot for the scene as they are in the current image.

With the sky toned down a bit and more natural blue tones I think this image would be outstanding. thumb.gif
    edited August 17, 2010
    Have a decko at this...here is the original (the middle one from the 3 exposures) and the HDR together...

4901125340_c9986cc4f3.jpg4901260965_75f0975b4d.jpg

Are there still problems with sky colour in the untouched version? All I did was import it into Adobe Camera RAW, no adjustments, reduced to 8 bit, saved as JPEG.

What do we think?
    edited August 17, 2010
    The untouched version has the correct colors. You may end up with better image by just adding some color saturation and contrast to the original rather than the HDR route.ne_nau.gif

I like the cloud detail in the original better too. If there is any cloud movement between frames then they will get softened in the HDR processing.
    edited August 17, 2010
    Ok...just saturation and a teeny bit of levels...

4902098372_fcae071470_z.jpg
    edited August 17, 2010
    Looks pretty sweet to me. clap.gif For my taste I would push the color vibrancy or saturation a little more but I may over do that frequently in my images.

The colors and cloud detail look much better in your re-do. thumb.gif
    edited August 17, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Looks pretty sweet to me. clap.gif For my taste I would push the color vibrancy or saturation a little more but I may over do that frequently in my images.

The colors and cloud detail look much better in your re-do. thumb.gif

Thank you. :D