Options

Excuse me while I throw up

2»

Comments

• Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    I can understand not wanting to deal with the issue and just move on, but I would still recommend a health check of your system. We all agree it is unusual for this type of localized corruption (and just straight up missing backup files...). One reason could be the sectors of your hard drive that hold the LR data were corrupted (I still find it unlikely that would have caused it all, since the files would be in several locations on the drive, etc).

Anyway, I would check your Windows System event log to ensure you are not seeing disk errors. You should also check your drive(s) SMART data in case there is an impending failure and this was just the start of things for you. I'd hate to hear that you get everything set up AGAIN to only have it fail completely. Backups or not, it's a huge pain to deal with after the fact.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »

Acronis makes software (like Norton Ghost) to create full images of your system.

I have used Acronis's Harddrive Cloning software....it is slick and it work 1Mx better than Norton or any other cloning software......infact it was the only one that I had absolutely no trouble with Photoshop the OS, Lightroom or my Microsoft office.............all programs ran like I had just loaded off disk.....this is very important if your hdd just up and dies and you need to get your computer back up and running quickly......Now I do not clone my archiving drives...but my "C" drives.....you bet I do...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    sectors of your hard drive - corrupted - disk errors - impending failure - only have it fail completely.

FINE! Whyncha give me something else to lose sleep over.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    thanks for posting the entire saga and recovery ideas. I am about to make the LR3 upgrade and was curious what you all thought about Apple's Time Machine backups. I am under the impression that falling back to the old version of my catalog would be much easier with Time Machine. Am I being too optimistic? It does hourly, weekly, monthly backups around the clock.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    kbevphoto wrote: »
    Am I being too optimistic?

Maybe...probably...or somewhere in between.headscratch.gif

I would not rely on automation from any software. Nothing wrong with using it...check regularly for safety.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Time Machine + Backblaze
    I've had good luck with Time Machine for on-site backups. I would recommend it for backing up everything you care about on site.

I would still recommend an off-site backup, such as Backblaze, to complement your backup strategy.
  • Options
    kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I would still recommend an off-site backup, such as Backblaze, to complement your backup strategy.

hanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I current do a manual backup with external HD that I leave at a neighbor's house.

I am assuming the initial backup with those services takes a butt-whupping amount of time on a DSL connection.

I could always bring my iMac to the office and try to use the t1 though. 400GB will take a month on my DSL line...
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    The initial backup does take a lot of time, even with cable in my experience. As mentioned above, CrashPlan lets you expedite the process by sending them a USB drive with all of your stuff on it.
  • Options
    shutterbug616shutterbug616 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I seriousely would consider MAC systems.. best comps for graphics going.. I only wish I had one.. I work with a pc on corel pro photoshop x2 and 3.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Well, last night I finished my initial upload to Backblaze. I've got a pretty fast Fios line, and I averaged over 2 Gigabytes uploaded per hour. With a hiatus to install a new router, it took less than four days to upload 175+ Gigabytes. $60.00 per year seems pretty cheap insurance to me given my recent unpleasantness.

Now I'm going to get some sort of mirroring program, and quit using the Windows 7 Backup POS.
    John :
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Well, last night I finished my initial upload to Backblaze. I've got a pretty fast Fios line, and I averaged over 2 Gigabytes uploaded per hour. With a hiatus to install a new router, it took less than four days to upload 175+ Gigabytes. $60.00 per year seems pretty cheap insurance to me given my recent unpleasantness.

Now I'm going to get some sort of mirroring program, and quit using the Windows 7 Backup POS.

thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »

You have the luxury of a fast pipe for upload. My initial Backblaze backup took four months. I have nearly 1TB backed up now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    You have the luxury of a fast pipe for upload. My initial Backblaze backup took four months. I have nearly 1TB backed up now.

I don't often need that firehose, but it's sweet when I need it!
    John :
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Switch to an IMac. I did!
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    I know it is a bit late, but I manually copy everything over on two identical, mirrored hard drives. I know there are various programs out there, but after having a hard drive failure (an external "primary" photo drive) and having to resort to the backup drive, I realized that it would be much easier to just change the drive letters around after a failure and keep going since all the directories are the same.

I find that the backups I've tried seem to mess up all the directories which makes recovery much more challenging, i.e, I must rebuild a brand new catalogue

I need to check into an online backup system since a fire or some other physical disaster could ruin both drives at the same time.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    I prefer the harddrive back up.........unless I am reading wrong on backblaze...the backed up drives MUST stay connected to Back Blaze or they will delte you stored info....for tme that just won't do as i have 10 internal drives that I connect thru a single dock for copying and loading files onto...to use back blaze I would have to go back to the much more expensive external drives and add more USB ports for staying connected to the net and backblaze......

Did I mis understand ???

Price wise it would be great......but I have lclose to 5tb in images alone...to keep archived and safe........I probably should start looking at some 1.5 - 2tb drivers to condense all my 500gb down to a smaller drive number also..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I prefer the harddrive back up.........unless I am reading wrong on backblaze...the backed up drives MUST stay connected to Back Blaze or they will delte you stored info....for tme that just won't do as i have 10 internal drives that I connect thru a single dock for copying and loading files onto...to use back blaze I would have to go back to the much more expensive external drives and add more USB ports for staying connected to the net and backblaze......

Did I mis understand ???

Price wise it would be great......but I have lclose to 5tb in images alone...to keep archived and safe........I probably should start looking at some 1.5 - 2tb drivers to condense all my 500gb down to a smaller drive number also..............
    I rather doubt they'll delete an entire drive of backed up stuff just because the drive isn't present without asking you first. It's very common that all drives are not always available. I think BackBlaze has some support forums somewhere where you could probably get an answer to that question. I have almost 1TB on BackBlaze now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Both Mozy and Backblaze will delete the backup for a drive that hasn't been seen by their server for more than 30 days. Originally Mozy would re-upload an entire removable drive if it was re-attached with a different letter. That's fixed now and Backblaze has always had a config file it puts on the drive so that wouldn't happen.

Backblaze also does not backup .exe , .dll or operating system files, i.e. it's not made to do a bare metal restore. If Backblaze hasn't even seen your computer at all, as opposed to seeing without a particular removable drive, for 6 months all backups are erased.

Crashplan cloud backup lets you configure when or if to purge a missing drive.

I asked Backblaze why the do that (drop drive they don't see for 30 days) and the said that was part of their business model to just back up live disks. They know that that will keep down the amount of storage they sell for $5 a month. With Backblaze it's are real pain to configure if you don't want to backup an entire disk too.
    jfriend wrote: »
    I rather doubt they'll delete an entire drive of backed up stuff just because the drive isn't present without asking you first. It's very common that all drives are not always available.