Couple more from Savannah, GA

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
.]
Randy

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    I really like those old stone/brick steps in the last photo -- at least they look like steps to me.

Was the food good :D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Great shots , Randy, of one my favorite Savannah places. Did you get a chance to eat at the Boar's Head?

Your PP treatment really works well in this type environment. Folks wouldn't believe how steep some of those stone stairs along the riverfront actually are.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like those old stone/brick steps in the last photo -- at least they look like steps to me.

Was the food good :D

Hey Mary,

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to eat while in Savannah :cry
    Randy
    edited August 18, 2010
    Great shots , Randy, of one my favorite Savannah places. Did you get a chance to eat at the Boar's Head?

Your PP treatment really works well in this type environment. Folks wouldn't believe how steep some of those stone stairs along the riverfront actually are.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to eat while in Savannah, too busy taking pictures thumb.gif

The steps off River Street are STEEP, and that original cobblestone road is a bit tricky to walk on. I was simply amazed while watching a couple of women walking on the rough cobblestone with stilettos eek7.gif
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    If I ever get you near Savannah again, we're definitely going to the Boar's Head for some of the finest eating of your life.

Funny you mentioned the cobblestone road. The first time I took my motorcycle up to Savannah, I drove it down to River Street. I came in from the west and started down the steep part leading to the river. It had rained earlier and the cobblestones were still fairly wet. I hadn't been on those stones 5 seconds and I knew I had made a bad mistake. I was all over the place, trying to maintain some semblance of dignity in front of what seemed like 1 million tourists.... who had now been attracted to my hollering and crazy weaving around.

I made it to the bottom before the damn thing came out from under me and crashed with sounds I'd never heard before. Fortunately, I hadn't been going at any real speed but I still found myself sprawled out beside the bike. Out of the hoards of people all around, the only two who approached with an offer of help were two, big ( I mean REALLY big ) black ladies. One snatched my bike up and the other, after making certain I wasn't really hurt bad, snatched me up. Aside from some cosmetic damage, the bike was operable and safe to ride. I got some pretty good bruises from those damn stones but that was about it. The whole thing was a lesson learned by me: bikes and cobblestones...particularly wet ones....don't mix well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Neat to see these finds Randy. thumb.gif Never been out that way.
    Someday maybe.
    Michael
    edited August 18, 2010
    If I ever get you near Savannah again, we're definitely going to the Boar's Head for some of the finest eating of your life.

Funny you mentioned the cobblestone road. The first time I took my motorcycle up to Savannah, I drove it down to River Street. I came in from the west and started down the steep part leading to the river. It had rained earlier and the cobblestones were still fairly wet. I hadn't been on those stones 5 seconds and I knew I had made a bad mistake. I was all over the place, trying to maintain some semblance of dignity in front of what seemed like 1 million tourists.... who had now been attracted to my hollering and crazy weaving around.

I made it to the bottom before the damn thing came out from under me and crashed with sounds I'd never heard before. Fortunately, I hadn't been going at any real speed but I still found myself sprawled out beside the bike. Out of the hoards of people all around, the only two who approached with an offer of help were two, big ( I mean REALLY big ) black ladies. One snatched my bike up and the other, after making certain I wasn't really hurt bad, snatched me up. Aside from some cosmetic damage, the bike was operable and safe to ride. I got some pretty good bruises from those damn stones but that was about it. The whole thing was a lesson learned by me: bikes and cobblestones...particularly wet ones....don't mix well.

Tom

Sorry Tom,

but that made me laugh rolleyes1.gif

Not particularly about your misfortune, but I experienced almost the exact same thing, except I was riding a pair of tennis shoes. I did manage to "keep the rubber down" though clap.gif

I learned the same lesson: Avoid wet cobblestones!
    Randy
    edited August 18, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Neat to see these finds Randy. thumb.gif Never been out that way.
    Someday maybe.

If you do Michael, make sure to take your camera. Lots of interesting scenes there.
    Randy