What equipment for friends' kids photoshoot

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited August 21, 2010 in Technique
HI,

I have been asked if I'll do an hour's shooting of a friend's two kids (one is 5, and the other is a few months old). I don't have a studio, or any studio lights. For lighting, all I have is the built-in flash, and as noted in previous threads, I have a couple of old flashes that I can trigger with optical triggers. I have a Canon 400d, 18-55mm kit lens, 75-300 basic zoom, M42 (manual) 28mm f2.8, M42 35mm f2.8, M42 135mm f2.8, M42 50mm f1.8 all which can be fitted with an adaptor, but I have manual focus, obviously.

She wants both posed and "at play" shots
Question: What sort of kit would people use for this "casual" but "paid for" photoshoot? There's no pressure, but it is my first shoot.

thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,065 moderator
    edited August 18, 2010
    Before you charge for childrens' portraiture I feel you need more practical experience and possibly different equipment. First, try just using your on-camera flash as fill light only. Trying to use it as a primary source of light is going to yield typical snapshot results. Experiment/practice way before your paying gig.

Off camera light is much nicer but using optical slaves outdoors is pretty frustrating. Optical slaves require line-of-sight of the trigger flash to work properly, not always so easy to do. Using an umbrella as a light modifier will improve the quality of the light, IMO, but might require an assistant to do quickly, properly and safely. You don't mention if you have light stands and umbrella brackets but you would need them in this scenario.

Radio slave sets are much more reliable and flexible in the outdoors, and their mightily handy indoors too.

You can also use reflectors outdoors, but again, you need an assistant to hold and direct the reflectors.

For kids in motion you just do what you can do. If they are in full sunlight then I suggest an external flash in E-TTL mode and HSS/FP mode to allow higher shutter speeds if needed to control ambient light. If you work in overcast conditions, use an external and off-camera flash to add some "punch" and crispness to the images. If you work under trees in an open shade situation a single flash will do to add some shadow control, but deep shade might need 2 flashes (light sources anyway) for best results.

Again, practice and gain experience well in advance of any paying event. Know what you need to do to handle each opportunity and have confidence in your abilities and equipment beforehand.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    When I say "Paid for" it is for a friend, and there really is no pressure. She just wanted to give me something for my time, so she is difinitely OK with this being an "experimental" thing...

I'll certainly take on board your suggestions, however, and will see what i can do re: reflectors and the like.

Thanks
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    HI,

I have been asked if I'll do an hour's shooting of a friend's two kids (one is 5, and the other is a few months old). I don't have a studio, or any studio lights. For lighting, all I have is the built-in flash, and as noted in previous threads, I have a couple of old flashes that I can trigger with optical triggers. I have a Canon 400d, 18-55mm kit lens, 75-300 basic zoom, M42 (manual) 28mm f2.8, M42 35mm f2.8, M42 135mm f2.8, M42 50mm f1.8 all which can be fitted with an adaptor, but I have manual focus, obviously.

She wants both posed and "at play" shots
    Question: What sort of kit would people use for this "casual" but "paid for" photoshoot? There's no pressure, but it is my first shoot.

thanks

Ziggy is right on as usual, but then you prob want to go with what you have and how would that work, right?

1. You def need to use the AF type lenses that you have. The infant won't trouble you much, but when (not if) the 5 y/o gets up and moves about, chasing him/her with a MF lens will be a nightmare. So use AF.

2. Use on cam flash. You can use it, and back the power of it down some to help in preventing that "fresh-flashed" look. So practice backing down your flash.

3. Reflecting. Reflecting light, the Sun specifically is not that hard, especially if it is preplanned. For instance, look for a place that has a large, preferably White building next to it, that the late sun can reflect off of and bring lots of reflected light into the Shooting Space. If you can find such a space and check it at the time of day you plan on shooting, you may be surprised at how little adjunct flash you really need. Also White Sheets laid at the feet, or draped at appropriate places can aid you similarly.

4. Chief-item is planning and practice.

ps: Don't forget to shoot RAW and check your White Balance prior to!
    tom wise
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    This might sounds stupid but... if you have a room where a lot of sunlight is pouring in through a window, put a sheet on the outside of the window to soften the available (ambient lol) light.

The idea came from some famous photographers blog that I would have linked but I can't find the guy.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited August 21, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Ziggy is right on as usual, but then you prob want to go with what you have and how would that work, right?

1. You def need to use the AF type lenses that you have. The infant won't trouble you much, but when (not if) the 5 y/o gets up and moves about, chasing him/her with a MF lens will be a nightmare. So use AF.

2. Use on cam flash. You can use it, and back the power of it down some to help in preventing that "fresh-flashed" look. So practice backing down your flash.

3. Reflecting. Reflecting light, the Sun specifically is not that hard, especially if it is preplanned. For instance, look for a place that has a large, preferably White building next to it, that the late sun can reflect off of and bring lots of reflected light into the Shooting Space. If you can find such a space and check it at the time of day you plan on shooting, you may be surprised at how little adjunct flash you really need. Also White Sheets laid at the feet, or draped at appropriate places can aid you similarly.

4. Chief-item is planning and practice.

ps: Don't forget to shoot RAW and check your White Balance prior to!

Excellent stuff..all bourne in mind, and all will be tried. Thanks
    edited August 21, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    This might sounds stupid but... if you have a room where a lot of sunlight is pouring in through a window, put a sheet on the outside of the window to soften the available (ambient lol) light.

The idea came from some famous photographers blog that I would have linked but I can't find the guy.

No, that sounds interesting, not stupid. I'll have a look-see. Thanks.