Options

Like page vs personal page- facebook

ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I am thinking I want to change my facebook like/fan page to a personal page with business name so that I can "friend" and comment on pages from my fans/likers.
I currently have http://www.facebook.com/behindthezoomphotography and realize that as people sign up I would like to comment on thier images or wall and unless I am missing something I can't do that?
I already have a personal page but don't really want to completely combine the two.

My question is how many are using fan/like pg vs personal pg set up for business? Is there a downside to either business wise?

Thanks,
Amanda
Amanda
It is never to late to become what you might have been.
www.behindthezoom.com

Comments

• Options
    PhoenixOrionPhoenixOrion Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I have a fan page but have a friend who has a profile page for her business. She has said that it gets kind of confusing having two accounts and is sometimes a hassle to switch between the two. Other than that, I don't know. I've never had a profile for business purposes.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    My personal policy is to not "friend" non-people accounts. I will "like" your business page to follow your updates, but I really don't want a business commenting on or often even seeing my personal information and updates. If I know you well enough to allow you that much access, I may friend you, but not your business.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    For what it's worth, I have both a personal page; as well as a fan page for my business. (Fan page link appears in my signature).

Each page has a unique objective and purpose. The fan page format works well for the business.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Facebook won't allow you to use a business name on your account. I should know, I tried it! :D

I think they have some sort of script that runs your name through a database and if it shows up (like "photography") it kicks it out.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2010
    rsquared wrote: »
    My personal policy is to not "friend" non-people accounts. I will "like" your business page to follow your updates, but I really don't want a business commenting on or often even seeing my personal information and updates. If I know you well enough to allow you that much access, I may friend you, but not your business.

This is kindof how I feel. My friend page is personal for family/friends and such and I like/fan other pages but don't really want them seeing/commenting on my personal page info.

However I get "friend" requests from people that would be for my business side and as far as I can tell you just have to ignore them unless you want to personally "friend" them?

THANKS for all the replies!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    Engrider18Engrider18 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2010
    I have a fan page but I've started having clients and potential clients friend request me on my personal page. I didn't want to snub them by ignoring their request so I just set up a special "Clients" privacy setting. Anyone I put in this list can't see pictures people tag me in, certain photo albums, status updates that I don't want them reading, etc. It's been a great way to allow them to be my friend but only allowing them to see what I want them to.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2010
    Engrider18 wrote: »
    ... I just set up a special "Clients" privacy setting. Anyone I put in this list can't see pictures people tag me in, certain photo albums, status updates that I don't want them reading, etc. It's been a great way to allow them to be my friend but only allowing them to see what I want them to.

How do you set this up?
  • Options
    PhoenixOrionPhoenixOrion Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    How do you set this up?

Go to Edit Friends, create a list and add clients to it, then go to Privacy Settings to limit that list.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2010
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    I thought of having a Fan page and all that but decided against it. I have a personal page and that's it. My reasoning is that I am trying to get business from friends and family anyways...these days people don't have that much time to keep updated on two different fronts for one person.

If I am constantly updating my personal page..they will see the real me...and see my pictures..see other people's comments/likes...maybe one day, I can get referred or they will hire me. :)

It is personal..cause everything should be personal in business...my thinking anyways. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    I think you need to run your business outside facebook - linking when appropriate.

This is a first impression as I only just started with facebook. I joined to see Awais' photos. What I see is:

- hardly any of my business contacts are on facebook, and those that are seem to be of the "been there, tried that, not for me" school.
    - lots of people are fanatic about the privacy options, maybe for good reason (I will see), so it makes it useless for prospecting or even locating old friends.
    - I don't know how long it lasts whereas I know my business should last for many years yet. There was Myspace, there is Hyves, there was Bebo, and now there is Facebook. Google is rumored to start something soon after the demise of Buzz.
    - it is not a business site. It is social networking and often trivial.

My first impression is that facebook is 90% hype. The first friends to sign up with me are media people from the BBC and suchlike; even they don't use it much. My children do not use it; they use something else and the last thing they want is Daddy as a friend, lurking in their social network.

This is a controversial first impression, I know, and I look forward to lots of people who disagree and tell me I am an old fuddy-duddy who just does not get it.
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Same here
    KMCC wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I have both a personal page; as well as a fan page for my business. (Fan page link appears in my signature).

Each page has a unique objective and purpose. The fan page format works well for the business.

I have the same set up. Both work super well. Both pages, as well as a MySpace account contributed to a completely booked summer.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited August 20, 2010
    Thanks for more input! After debating and reading -I think I will keep my business and personal separate. It just seems to flow easier and when I get a "friend" request I will just send them to the business like page for updates and info...
    Also noted some new "likes" Thank You!! will be doing the same for you!!
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    wildviper wrote: »
    ...these days people don't have that much time to keep updated on two different fronts for one person.

They don't have to, though. They only have to click the Like button once on your business page; after that, anything you post to your business page ends up on their News Feed. To make those items show up on your personal page, you just Share them to your Wall, which also has the effect of letting all your friends know you've got this other page they can Like if they want to see that part of your life (not everyone wants to see business-related promotions from friends).

The real disadvantage of business pages right now is you can't tag anyone in a photo that isn't in your personal Friends list. So if you want to tag some client, you have to Add those people as friends to your personal account anyway.