Options

Minimum Orders

hanchohancho Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
edited August 26, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Have done a search but have not come up with the answer. So here is my question. Is there a way to make a minimum order amount? I just found out that one of my clients ordered one photo of the prints they like and then took them to Walgreens and scanned and have been making there own prints. I charge a very low up front fee and hope to make my money by them ordering prints. I need to now have a minimum order or start charging more up front. Please help

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I don't know of any way to specify a minimum order on Smugmug.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to send your client a bill for the additional copies they made at WalMart and explain to them why what they did is not legal and they should either give you the extra copies they made or pay you for them. Of course, whether that's a good business decision for you depends upon things that only you would know.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    hancho wrote: »
    I charge a very low up front fee

Mistake #1.

or start charging more up front. Please help

Fix #1.

:D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Have done a search but have not come up with the answer. So here is my question. Is there a way to make a minimum order amount? I just found out that one of my clients ordered one photo of the prints they like and then took them to Walgreens and scanned and have been making there own prints. I charge a very low up front fee and hope to make my money by them ordering prints. I need to now have a minimum order or start charging more up front. Please help

one solution is to make your prints, image files, look totally professional......by simply addy your signature to all of your images.......not a watermark or copyright statement but a signature......In photoshop I use the mistral font and size it according to print size...do not want it to be HUUUge...but do want it easily readable.........for 8x10's I use approx a size 22 Mistral......which looks a tad nicer than my actual hand writing.........and I use a color as close to gold or copper or silver that I can get from the color palette ...............

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Charge them in advance for the minimum order at the time of the shoot and then give them a Smugmug coupon for that amount. You get paid in advance for the amount of the minimum order and they can pick what they want. You should also make sure that you watermark your images with a nice semi-transparent watermark so they can't easily steal them off the web.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    hanchohancho Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2010
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I wish I was in your shoes. Did you know you have legal action you can take? clap.gif Check this out: http://www.photoattorney.com/?p=515

I wish I knew this when I had my photos published in a local newspaper as the cover story in the Sunday sports section. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!