My new take on Ch 46: Opposites

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 3, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
As you prolly know, I hurried with my entry to Ch 46
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=17074
By the time I was in the mood to do it again, now withing the challenge time range, it turned out that neither apples, nor oranges are no more - family got to them first..
It was too hot to make a grocery trip to get to another fruit basket, so I decided to change the theme and also experiment a little more with my new 20D.
Here's the image I entered:

33848798-L.jpg

How I did it

Whole thing was set up in a bathroom, on the edge of the sinc.
Ice blocks from the freezer and one standard issue fireplace lighter made the props.
I used 20D and Tamron 70-300 lens set to macro mode.
Manual focusing at 1 meter. Full manual setup: f/45, 3.3", ISO 100. Triggered by 10 sec timer. I was too lazy to do mirror lockup thingie, which would cut timer wait to 2". Besides, I actually used these 10" to get around the tripod (which was sitting on a threshold), enter the bathroom and light the fire.
It took me about 5 attempts to figure out proper aperture/exposure combination.

After the final exposure was taken, PC CS2 completed the trick: some sharpening, playing with LAB levels, the usual..

Let me know what you think (critique is always welcome!)

Cheers!:1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    Maybe it's just me but the Fire and Ice concept didn't jump out from the shot. I frankly couldn't tell what the image was except I thought ice cubes might be involved. It wasn't until I read your description that I got it.... Neat concept though!

Erich
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    I have to say that I agree with Erich. I wasn't sure of what I was looking at
    til I read it. Sorry Nik, I think the hot/cold or fire/ice is a good idea, but this
    one missed it's mark.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    how about charcoal brickettes and ice cubes?
    That you could do in the evening where the glowing coals would be evident - and you might be able to deposit the charcoal on top of the ice (maybe some aluminum foil between?) so you won't just douse the coals.

Or, maybe a nice traditional campfire with a tipped-over cooler-full of ice (and mebby a few beers?) spilling onto the firepit - oh, and for logiical symmetry with the beer, maybe include some bratwurst roasting.

Glad you thought of this fire&ice concept because I wont have the time or perseverence to implement it "this time". (Besides - dont really want a smoked lens coating;)

Gary

P.S. or..... stay in the bathroom but set up the scene where someone (your volunteer model?) is sitting in a tub full of ice lighting a cigar with the ligter... again, it's your fire&ice concept so that's why I can't just implement that myself now.

Actually, I wonder whether you could either just show a bit of the lighter to make it clear whithout explanation what's going on, and/or, somehow get a refection of the flame on the ice?

Nikolai wrote:
    As you prolly know, I hurried with my entry to Ch 46
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=17074
    By the time I was in the mood to do it again, now withing the challenge time range, it turned out that neither apples, nor oranges are no more - family got to them first..
    It was too hot to make a grocery trip to get to another fruit basket, so I decided to change the theme and also experiment a little more with my new 20D.
    Here's the image I entered:

33848798-L.jpg

How I did it

Whole thing was set up in a bathroom, on the edge of the sinc.
    Ice blocks from the freezer and one standard issue fireplace lighter made the props.
    I used 20D and Tamron 70-300 lens set to macro mode.
    Manual focusing at 1 meter. Full manual setup: f/45, 3.3", ISO 100. Triggered by 10 sec timer. I was too lazy to do mirror lockup thingie, which would cut timer wait to 2". Besides, I actually used these 10" to get around the tripod (which was sitting on a threshold), enter the bathroom and light the fire.
    It took me about 5 attempts to figure out proper aperture/exposure combination.

After the final exposure was taken, PC CS2 completed the trick: some sharpening, playing with LAB levels, the usual..

Let me know what you think (critique is always welcome!)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Maybe another way to get this across would be to get a big block of ice from an ice company, or some grocery stores sell them and gouge out a bowl in the top, pour some lighter fluid on it and light it on fire. That may look pretty cool and it might get the point across a little better. It took me a little to figure out it was ice also.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Maybe another way to get this across would be to get a big block of ice from an ice company, or some grocery stores sell them and gouge out a bowl in the top, pour some lighter fluid on it and light it on fire.

Nick
    I tried that but as soon as the ice starts to melt, it puts out the flames!! I ended up dousing the ice and it sorta worked.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    I've looked at this photo 15 times and just realized what it looks like : molars! rolleyes1.gif Can you tell I just went to the dentist recently?

I agree, good concept, but something on a grander scale (per the previous suggestion of a large ice block).

~mel
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Looks like a toothache on the left side to me!rolleyes1.gif
    Cool abstract. Why not!
    mel wrote:
    I've looked at this photo 15 times and just realized what it looks like : molars! rolleyes1.gif Can you tell I just went to the dentist recently?

I agree, good concept, but something on a grander scale (per the previous suggestion of a large ice block).

~mel
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    New version of Fire and Ice:
    Was preparing the barbeque, so decided to take another shot at the challenge with my origonal "fire and ice" idea.

Here it is:

34567490-L.jpg

What do you guys think?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"