My first newborn session. Please help me!

tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 22, 2010 in People
I had my first newborn session yesterday with a baby that was only 8 days old.

I think I captured a few good ones, but I feel like the wow-factor is missing. :scratch
Can anyone give me some opinions on how to improve these shots?

I wanted to try a darker background, but the baby didn`t want to go to sleep again. So I missed out on that one.
It is all up to the little one. ;):D

I used all natural light from a window. (NO FLASH. NO STROBES!!)
My lens was a 50 mm 1.8.

974804859_xEGe2-L.jpg

974803947_mRfqX-L.jpg

974804844_X3Sgv-L.jpg
http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    These are beautiful! I guess my only suggestion would be to use more props..Newborn prop photography is the RAGE right now..I have used wiker baskets, bowls etc to highlight my model. I have a few shots in my babies album on my site. You can get a ton of cute knits on etsy also. It may be overdone, but knit hats are also huge hits at the moment for newborns. I found baskets at stores like IKEA or Michaels. CUTE baby and great job keeping him asleep!
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    These are beautiful! I guess my only suggestion would be to use more props..Newborn prop photography is the RAGE right now..I have used wiker baskets, bowls etc to highlight my model. I have a few shots in my babies album on my site. You can get a ton of cute knits on etsy also. It may be overdone, but knit hats are also huge hits at the moment for newborns. I found baskets at stores like IKEA or Michaels. CUTE baby and great job keeping him asleep!

Thank you so much!
    I was planning to bring props, and I had a few ideas. But since he woke up after the first photos, I didn`t have a chance to use any.

Maybe next time. His mom might want me back in a few days for more photos.thumb.gif

edited August 20, 2010
    A few more photos I have "developed" now.
    I would love to hear some more opinions on what I can do to improve.

The mother is satisfied with the photos, but I would love to learn and be prepared for my next session.

975170395_gcgLa-XL.jpg

975904333_izSMF-XL.jpg

• metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    I think part of the problem is your use of flash. They all look quite flat. Using natural light for babies is wonderful if you can do it.

Check out this blog. It's pretty inspiring. Even their shots with no props, hats, etc are amazing.
    http://www.kelleyryden.com/babyblog/
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    I just did my first newborn session yesterday too.... it was exhausting. (I hadn't worked with a newborn in 5 years!) We spent most of the day trying to keep the little guy happy, since he just wanted to fuss all day. He was one month and one day, so a little old for a newborn session. We got some really nice photos, but I definately feel your pain. I think he was fully asleep for all of 4 minutes, and the rest of the 5 hours I was there, he was being nursed or rocked or something to keep him happy.
    edited August 21, 2010
    I just did my first newborn session yesterday too.... it was exhausting. (I hadn't worked with a newborn in 5 years!) We spent most of the day trying to keep the little guy happy, since he just wanted to fuss all day. He was one month and one day, so a little old for a newborn session. We got some really nice photos, but I definately feel your pain. I think he was fully asleep for all of 4 minutes, and the rest of the 5 hours I was there, he was being nursed or rocked or something to keep him happy.

Yes, I guess that is how it is to work with newborns. A lot of waiting.. But it was a lot of fun!

edited August 21, 2010
    met wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is your use of flash. They all look quite flat. Using natural light for babies is wonderful if you can do it.

Check out this blog. It's pretty inspiring. Even their shots with no props, hats, etc are amazing.
    http://www.kelleyryden.com/babyblog/

Funny you say that Met, it is all natural light. I would be happy if you could tell me how to make them pop and not look flat....

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Kelley Ryden - and her twin sister Tracy Raver - are out of this WORLD amazing with anything they photograph. They charge out the @$$, too - not saying I wouldn't do it with a newborn of mine in a heartbeat, but we'd be eating ramen for a year to afford her sessions.

Natural light is the only thing I use, I have studio lights, but I never use them. I don't even turn on my flash, I shoot with my 17-55mm 2.8 most of the time, but a 50mm 1.8 will do as well, it's just more challenging because it's fixed.

Find a window, the bigger the better and don't be afraid to move furniture around (I've had to rearrange rooms during two different sessions to get the right light). I sit with my back to the wall under the window and have the baby set up about 2 feet in front of me, perfect light assuming it's not a stormy day.

Your shots aren't horrible, but I think the flash takes away from what would be an AMAZING photograph. With babies it really is trial and error. And they really will do just about anything for you when they're sound asleep :)
    edited August 22, 2010
    Kelley Ryden - and her twin sister Tracy Raver - are out of this WORLD amazing with anything they photograph. They charge out the @$$, too - not saying I wouldn't do it with a newborn of mine in a heartbeat, but we'd be eating ramen for a year to afford her sessions.

Natural light is the only thing I use, I have studio lights, but I never use them. I don't even turn on my flash, I shoot with my 17-55mm 2.8 most of the time, but a 50mm 1.8 will do as well, it's just more challenging because it's fixed.

Find a window, the bigger the better and don't be afraid to move furniture around (I've had to rearrange rooms during two different sessions to get the right light). I sit with my back to the wall under the window and have the baby set up about 2 feet in front of me, perfect light assuming it's not a stormy day.

Your shots aren't horrible, but I think the flash takes away from what would be an AMAZING photograph. With babies it really is trial and error. And they really will do just about anything for you when they're sound asleep :)

Ok, once again: I DID NOT USE FLASH! lol :D

I had exactly the same setup as you talk about. Infront of a window, all natural light. No strobes, no flash!!
    I used 50mm 1.8.

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    tropico wrote: »
    Ok, once again: I DID NOT USE FLASH! lol :D

I had exactly the same setup as you talk about. Infront of a window, all natural light. No strobes, no flash!!
    I used 50mm 1.8.

::hides:: sorry
    edited August 22, 2010
    ::hides:: sorry

Lol... no problem! ;)

• happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    One thing I just wanted to say is that while I know everyone loves sleepy newborn photos, I find lots of parents certainly like awake shots too. If baby wakes up, getting a few shots with the eyes open isn't a bad thing. Honestly, when I shot itty bitties, I tend to just work with what I have-if they are crying, I get some crying, if they are awake, get some awake, if they are sleeping, get some sleeping. A little bit of every expression really isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Some folks say shooting newborns takes lots of time, patience etc. I tend to think it can go that way....or you can work REALLY REALLY fast and get a bunch of great stuff all in that teeny window you have where they are sleepy and floppy before they get hungry and fussy again. I have had both situations work out. Props and stuff that you can toss in and change out quickly can help.

For example, you have a few great shots of that same tummy pose sleeping..after you shoot those, try taking the end of the blanket up over the baby (obviously assuming the blanket is long enough, or use a second fluffy one if not) and pull it up over the baby, over his head so the his face is peek a boo-ing (is that a word?) out under it. Change the angle a little and you have a new shot, take a couple of those, then put the blanket back, and toss on a little bow with a tag with baby's name or that says something cute and generic like "our gift from God" or whatever. You can shoot that from a couple of angles, and a shot or two with the focus on the bow or tag are super cute too. All of that can be done pretty quick, since there's no moving of the little one, but you still have a great new set of shots, with little time or effort expended.
    edited August 22, 2010
    One thing I just wanted to say is that while I know everyone loves sleepy newborn photos, I find lots of parents certainly like awake shots too. If baby wakes up, getting a few shots with the eyes open isn't a bad thing. Honestly, when I shot itty bitties, I tend to just work with what I have-if they are crying, I get some crying, if they are awake, get some awake, if they are sleeping, get some sleeping. A little bit of every expression really isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Some folks say shooting newborns takes lots of time, patience etc. I tend to think it can go that way....or you can work REALLY REALLY fast and get a bunch of great stuff all in that teeny window you have where they are sleepy and floppy before they get hungry and fussy again. I have had both situations work out. Props and stuff that you can toss in and change out quickly can help.

For example, you have a few great shots of that same tummy pose sleeping..after you shoot those, try taking the end of the blanket up over the baby (obviously assuming the blanket is long enough, or use a second fluffy one if not) and pull it up over the baby, over his head so the his face is peek a boo-ing (is that a word?) out under it. Change the angle a little and you have a new shot, take a couple of those, then put the blanket back, and toss on a little bow with a tag with baby's name or that says something cute and generic like "our gift from God" or whatever. You can shoot that from a couple of angles, and a shot or two with the focus on the bow or tag are super cute too. All of that can be done pretty quick, since there's no moving of the little one, but you still have a great new set of shots, with little time or effort expended.

Thanks a lot for a lot of great ideas.

I did some shots of him when he was awake too.

Here is one example:

976383874_PwdA8-XL.jpg