Nikon F2+ lenses

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Cameras
A friend acquired a whole box of camera gear, and asked me about advice selling it. Since I know next to nothing about manual cameras and absolutely nothing about Nikon, I figured I'd throw this out to get some more information for him.

The main items in question (there's other stuff, but most of it looks like old cameras kept for spares/repairs etc ie old film point and shoot cameras etc):

- Nikon F2 - with prism
- Nikon MD3 motor drive
- Nikon MB2 battery holder
- Nikkor 50mm 1.4 (which fits above)
- Nikkor 28 mm 2.8 (ditto)

976182268_g4sDc-M.jpg

The lenses seem to be in ok shape -no obvious scratches, aperture rings and focusing rings turn, aperture blades move smoothly and open/close all the way, can't see any fungus (although haven't checked them exhaustively, a quick peek with a flashlight looked clean) and, although the body has some scratches which look like normal wear and tear, it looks in pretty good shape for a camera of its vintage.

I've trawled KEH and ebay, but am not pulling up that much info. Any advice on how/where is best to sell, and the kinds of prices to consider?

Also, there's an Olympus C-180 1.7x Teleconverter in box with bag and caps - looks like new, to be honest. Can't find much out about it, either.

Last items of potential interest: a Honeywell Strobonar 892 and a Strobonar 710 with one mains adapter/power pack. Are those worth keeping (ie, I might snag them if they're worth it!) or sellable or should they just be binned?

976182227_ZoyVH-M.jpg

Photos now added.........

Thanks!

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    A friend acquired a whole box of camera gear, and asked me about advice selling it. Since I know next to nothing about manual cameras and absolutely nothing about Nikon, I figured I'd throw this out to get some more information for him.

The main items in question (there's other stuff, but most of it looks like old cameras kept for spares/repairs etc ie old film point and shoot cameras etc):

- Nikon F2 - with prism
    - Nikon MD3 motor drive
    - Nikon MB2 battery holder
    - Nikkor 50mm 1.4 (which fits above)
    - Nikkor 28 mm 2.8 (ditto)

The lenses seem to be in ok shape -no obvious scratches, aperture rings and focusing rings turn, aperture blades move smoothly and open/close all the way, can't see any fungus (although haven't checked them exhaustively, a quick peek with a flashlight looked clean) and, although the body has some scratches which look like normal wear and tear, it looks in pretty good shape for a camera of its vintage.

I've trawled KEH and ebay, but am not pulling up that much info. Any advice on how/where is best to sell, and the kinds of prices to consider?

Also, there's an Olympus C-180 1.7x Teleconverter in box with bag and caps - looks like new, to be honest. Can't find much out about it, either.

Last items of potential interest: a Honeywell Strobonar 892 and a Strobonar 710 with one mains adapter/power pack. Are those worth keeping (ie, I might snag them if they're worth it!) or sellable or should they just be binned?

I took some quick snaps but can't upload them now - will edit them back in later. In the meantime, best ideas how to advise him to sell this stuff?

Thanks!

You report that you've trawled KEH...Did you try their Online Estimator? Try that. It is not a binding contract, but it will give you/them a good idea of what they can expect on the Wholesale market!

cheers,

ps: of course, you could always suggest they come here and off-load the eq.?
    tom wise
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    I sold a bunch of Nikon film equipment on eBay about 18 months ago and did pretty well with most of it. Do a search on eBay but tell the search function to look for completed auctions, that will show you what similar have actually sold for in the recent past.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Thanks all! Photos now addded, but I'm passing this info on to him so he can figure out what to do with it.

Oh, and Tom, thanks for the pointer on keh - last time I used that feature was before their software "upgrade" (which has the Worst.Search.Function.Ever. now. But I digress.) where I remember having to join etc before I could get a value, so it's useful to know you can get prices on a "what if" basis now. Very helpful.

Also, anybody have any thoughts on those flash strobes - worth trying to salvage or not? I'm thinking of those for myself, not for resale :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 20, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    ... Also, anybody have any thoughts on those flash strobes - worth trying to salvage or not? I'm thinking of those for myself, not for resale :)

I cannot recommend the Honeywell Strobonars for modern digital cameras. They have very high trigger voltage and they often have color balance problems. (Strong UV output and the yellow filtration of the flash is often incorrect for either daylight or flash color balance.) The batteries are also often failed and have to be rebuilt.

My father has several and I tested them only to find these (above) problems.

I do use the Sunpak 611 handle-bracket flashes and, while they also have high trigger voltage, they are color appropriate for modern cameras and they use individual "C" cells so you can purchase new NiCd or NiMH "C" cells and you are in business.

Use a Wein "SafeSync" to protect your camera if connected directly or use RF master/slave sets for remote slaving.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Exactly the info I needed, Ziggy (of course!). I think I'll be passing - sounds like too much hassle to keep them running. Thank you!