The Little Red Schoolhouse

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Buried deep, and I mean DEEP, back in the Appalachian mountains lies this old schoolhouse. It was used continuously from 1870 until 1941. For some reason, it fascinates me. If I'm within 20 - 30 miles of this old building, I'll go to it and fire off another shot. I can just see the kids running all around and hear their shouts as they enjoy recess.

975600709_9m8Gm-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

No wonder you like it, the History and the Setting really

adds to this wonderful building, I can only imagine

all the stories of the Kids and folks that attended

that School.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Being empty since the forties, it's in remarkably good condition.

I like it!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Hey Craig,

Can't you just imagine the stories that could be told about this place. It had to play a very important role in the history of that region.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 20, 2010
    M38A1.....

There are reasons I think this old schoolhouse is so well preserved.

1 ) It's so isolated....you have to know where it is and really want to go there. The people of that valley ( think the movie DELIVERANCE ) are very respectful of the history of the building and the role it played in their lives. The roof shows evidence of a re-paint not too long ago, so they tend to try and preserve it.

2 ) The weather. Certainly it's subject to snow ( I've seen it banked up to the level of the windows ), rain, and other elements. But, all in all, the humidity level there is fairly low....which helps.

Sadly, if this building was located in other parts of the country, it would have been stripped of all the wood years ago. Luckily, it's where it is. I'd love to go inside the building....you can see in and note all the period pieces still there. It's got to be a treasure trove of antiques. There's a very simple lock on the front door that could be very easily violated. Fortunately, it doesn't seem anyone has attempted to do so. As I said, this place fascinates me.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Very nice old school building indeed Tom. It would be interesting to know whom is doing the maintenance on the old place. It's in incredibly good shape for a building that hasn't been used for near 60 years, as you stated. Roof paint does look good, and interestingly, the broken windows that are boarded up are done so from the inside. Is that a center fireplace I see?

Thanks for sharing!
    Randy
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 20, 2010
    Nice find, Tom. City rat that I am, I don't think I've ever actually seen a little red schoolhouse. lol3.gif
    edited August 20, 2010
    Yo Randy,

As best I can determine, the little chimney thing you see is connected via stovepipe to a big pot-bellied stove in the middle of the room. There are some divider-type things that hide getting a real good look. I've tried several times to find someone who could give me info about the place...you know, find a little country store or something where somebody might know something. However, there's nothing like that for miles around. There are a few houses tucked back into the hollow in the vicinity of the schoolhouse....but, brother, I ain't about to approach one of them.

Knowing the culture of the region as I do, my best guess is that some church group is behind the effort to preserve the place as best they can. In fact, thinking in that vein just now, the next time I'm up there I'll drop in on one of the little churches and see if they can enlighten me.

Tom
    edited August 20, 2010
    Hey Richard,

I'm not surprised at that....there aren't many of these things still around.

Tom