macro lens question

wave5wave5 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Holy Macro
hi
i never used a macro lens before......so i was wondering r they able to take other pictures to or when u put them on u r already on instant close up??

i mean can they b used for landscapes or sports or just plain shooting and not just macro??]

Comments

• PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    wave5 wrote: »
    hi
    i never used a macro lens before......so i was wondering r they able to take other pictures to or when u put them on u r already on instant close up??

i mean can they b used for landscapes or sports or just plain shooting and not just macro??]

thanks headscratch.gif

Hi wave5

Yes, you can use a macro lens for other types of photography but AF is slow. My Sigma 150 DG macro has a switch on it to limit the focus range to macro/normal/Full and hence reduce the auto-focus time depending what you want to use the lens for.

If macro is something that interests you but you do not want to spend a lot of money on a true macro lens, look at the achromatic screw-on lenses to fit one of your existing lenses (telephoto type being better IMHO). This way, you only need to screw on the achromatic lens as you need it and keep the costs down.
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Hi Wave5

Peter said it all I guess, focussing might be your biggest problem, especially when it comes to action shots.

ps. No worries, you posts in this forum will not be billed on a per character basis. :)
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    All macro lenses apart from the MPE-65 have infinity focus - many people use them as portrait lenses but as mentioned the AF would probably be too slow for sports events.
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 20, 2010
    i use my canon 100mm macro for landscapes and a few bird shots.
    auto focus ok, very rarely use it though.
  • wave5wave5 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    thanks alot everyone i will surely look into achromatic lenses =]]]]]]