Options

Scanning old prints, getting rid of the red cast?

RedfaxRedfax Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 23, 2010 in Finishing School
So my sister started digging into the photo cupboard of her husband's family, and since i'm staying at their place and am the resident (comparative) photo geek I decided to pitch in and help with the scanning and editing.

So far they're all prints, and some of them have the weird '70s "bumpy" finish. Luckily its the regular type, so I've found a convenient workflow to get rid of it using fast fourier transforms, which are way cool http://www.skeller.ch/ps/fft_action.php

The prints are obviously completely f'd up color wise, with the typical red cast. I'm doing my best to try to centre things around neutral gray, but its not clearing up all the way, at all (even when a suitably gray object is in the frame). Does anybody have any tricks, or is it normal after all these years?

Incidentally i was thinking, if i had the prints AND the negative for the same shot, could i recontruct the full color profile? The same pigments would be washed away in both, but of course they would be representing opposite ends of the spectrum! I haven't found any negatives so far, but I thought it would be an interesting hypothetical.

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Redfax wrote: »
    snip…
    The prints are obviously completely f'd up color wise, with the typical red cast. I'm doing my best to try to centre things around neutral gray, but its not clearing up all the way, at all (even when a suitably gray object is in the frame). Does anybody have any tricks, or is it normal after all these years?

Do you mean that there's a red cast in the digital version after you've scanned them? I don't think I've ever had that problem with prints I've scanned. I try to scan the negatives wherever possible (one less generation, so better signal to noise ratio)
    snip…
    Incidentally i was thinking, if i had the prints AND the negative for the same shot, could i recontruct the full color profile? The same pigments would be washed away in both, but of course they would be representing opposite ends of the spectrum! I haven't found any negatives so far, but I thought it would be an interesting hypothetical.

Why would you want to scan both print and negative? Doesn't make sense somehow… I must be missing something here… headscratch.gif

BTW Welcome to DGPF!!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    RedfaxRedfax Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    No negatives have been found so I'm stuck with the prints. I'm scanning "straight" with the scanner part of an HP all-in-one, and postprocessing ex-post (I'm not at my house and am using the basic drivers for the scanner).

Here's why I think scanning both print AND negative would be advantageous. The red cast is casued by certain pigments being more durable than others. In this case its the cyan which is decomposing too soon. Now, assuming the negative has the same pigments as the print paper, the same cyan dye would also be decomposing too soon BUT in the NEGATIVE the cyan dye is actually coding for the Red channel, which is preserved just fine in the print. So in theory there should be a way of recombining the information from both sources to get vivid color!

Granted this is a fairly limited applicability set, and it isnt my case, but i still think it would be pretty cool :D
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010

I don't know if that would really work, while I don't know for sure I doubt that the dyes in the negative and the paper are similar enough that you could easily do a 1:1 flip to get the red out. Also, if the prints and negatives were stored under different conditions and materials, they may have faded at different rates even if they were the same dyes.

I guess some people deal with this by editing the channels themselves, like playing with the Red channel curve of an RGB image. Also, some scanning software has a fade compensation feature which presumably models common fade scenarios and reverses them; my copy of VueScan does, I'm just saying if yours has that it might be something to try.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,917 moderator
    edited August 21, 2010
    Try to find image elements of the image that were likely to have been originally white (but not bleached white or specular white), gray and black. Those can give you valuable starting points for color correction. It's not unusual to find different color shifts for the highlights, mid tones and darks, so the Photoshop Image-Adjustments-"Color Balance" is handy for gaining control over color tonal zones.

Using both a print and a negative can be useful in understanding the original colors, but normally the negative will provide much greater dynamic range and negatives are often not as exposed to the elements of light and handling so they may have held up better overall. It's not unusual to find that negatives have suffered other types of degradation and scratches are a usual problem as well as blotchy regions caused by poor fixation and/or poor rinsing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Why would you want to scan both print and negative?
    - Wil

To learn the tweaks that Ansel Adams performed to alter the image in the print process.

This seems like a fine answer in its own right, but the real point is to remember that custom prints may have different information than the negative. Even choices of paper are "custom", as papers may vary in contrast and color as well as dynamic range (which has already been mentioned).

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 23, 2010
    If you truly have a uniform red cast, you should be able to remove is with a Cyan filter in Photoshop. Make a copy of the stained background layer, and then apply the filter to it. You can then use the opacity slider to adjust to taste.

I wrote about using a cyan or a green filter here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=49659&highlight=green+filter+nuclear
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    No negatives have been found so I'm stuck with the prints. I'm scanning "straight" with the scanner part of an HP all-in-one, and postprocessing ex-post (I'm not at my house and am using the basic drivers for the scanner).

Here's why I think scanning both print AND negative would be advantageous. The red cast is casued by certain pigments being more durable than others. In this case its the cyan which is decomposing too soon. Now, assuming the negative has the same pigments as the print paper, the same cyan dye would also be decomposing too soon BUT in the NEGATIVE the cyan dye is actually coding for the Red channel, which is preserved just fine in the print. So in theory there should be a way of recombining the information from both sources to get vivid color!

Granted this is a fairly limited applicability set, and it isnt my case, but i still think it would be pretty cool :D

I'm not an expert on this, but...

Photographic negatives and prints use different sets of chemicals in their emulsions. Those in the negatives seem to be a bit more robust than those in prints, and when I have taken old negatives to be printed, the new prints typically looked brand-new. Granted, I've only printed negatives about 15 years old (pics taken in 1990 reprinted in about 2004-2005), but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the prints.

It's a moot point in your case, of course, since you haven't found any negatives, but if you should find any, you may just find that they're in far better condition than the prints, and scans of the negs may not have any major color cast at all (aside from any exposure problems they may have from the original exposure).
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"