Macro ring flash question

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited August 21, 2010 in Holy Macro
OK so macro is my most favored and used type of photography, yet I know nothing really about a decent brand of ring flash, at a fair price.

Any suggestions on what to get? I'm tired of holding a flash in 1 hand and my camera in the other! Lol.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    OK so macro is my most favored and used type of photography, yet I know nothing really about a decent brand of ring flash, at a fair price.

Any suggestions on what to get? I'm tired of holding a flash in 1 hand and my camera in the other! Lol.
    Why not just get an off camera flash bracket ?
    I'm still using one after 5 years.

Macro flashes are not necessarily the easiest of flashes to work with.
    All suffer from some difficuly in getting good diffusion.
    Single bulb ring flashes suffer from giving flat looking light. Unfortunately the ones that work best are the dual head ones (eg canon MT-24) that cost the most but still generally need quite a lot of work on diffusers.

Obviously they have one big advantage in getting the light where you need it.

Brian v.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Why not just get an off camera flash bracket ?
    I'm still using one after 5 years.

Macro flashes are not necessarily the easiest of flashes to work with.
    All suffer from some difficuly in getting good diffusion.
    Single bulb ring flashes suffer from giving flat looking light. Unfortunately the ones that work best are the dual head ones (eg canon MT-24) that cost the most but still generally need quite a lot of work on diffusers.

Obviously they have one big advantage in getting the light where you need it.

Brian v.

I am going to use a pair of wireless mini flashes that don't have a neck that a normal sized flash has. It wouldn't reach. I recently have been trying a custom bracket from scratch to make my own dual head. First try was a bust; I got some un-flexible flex-arms, lol. I was just looking at the available ring flashes on Ebay and the only one I'd accept starts at $280.

My dad has the equipment to cut and weld our own stuff together. I guess we'll just make our own version of the Canon except a little less... nice looking. Not worth $1k unless its waterproof or something.
  • korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I use the Sigma EM 140 DG, costs some money but am happy with
    full TTL metering
    see http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/flash/flash_140dg.htm
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
    edited August 21, 2010
    korandoke wrote: »
    I use the Sigma EM 140 DG, costs some money but am happy with
    full TTL metering
    see http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/flash/flash_140dg.htm

Yeah a bit too much $ right now, but it is a good system
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I was shooting this morning, overcast and cool. I added the 3rd ring on the Kenkos, and the pictures are dark. (I am using on camera flash). With the 105 and the Kenkos, do I need to get my speedlite in front of the lens? I know some of you guys have modified yours in that way? I want to shoot smaller insects, and I've got the focal point, its just the light thats giving me a hard time. The pictures this morning were so dark you couldn't hardly see them!! All that work for nothing??
    edited August 21, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    I was shooting this morning, overcast and cool. I added the 3rd ring on the Kenkos, and the pictures are dark. (I am using on camera flash). With the 105 and the Kenkos, do I need to get my speedlite in front of the lens? I know some of you guys have modified yours in that way? I want to shoot smaller insects, and I've got the focal point, its just the light thats giving me a hard time. The pictures this morning were so dark you couldn't hardly see them!! All that work for nothing??

The smaller you go the closer to the lens you'll be. If you're adding tubes, your focus distance is becoming even closer to the lens physically, plus adding length to the lens blocks more of the light from the flash. That's why I'm considering a ring flash since generally I am within 2-4 inches of a critter and its hard to place a flash correctly when they're on walls
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    do I need to get my speedlite in front of the lens? I know some of you guys have modified yours in that way?
    yes
    if the flash is on the socket , it hits the lens-top , creating a shadow
    without the tubes the flash just passes over the lens
    edited August 21, 2010
    I thought that was the problem I will remedy that in a week or so and post something good I hope. What are yo guys using for diffusion?? If the lite is that close to the subject, it would wash it out without something??
    edited August 21, 2010
    me , i use diffusers that came with my kit
    but , transparent paper like paper kitchen-towel will work too [ and some tape or elastics to hold in place ]
    also , adjusting exposure-compensation and / or flash-compensation is necessary
    edited August 21, 2010
    I was looking ar lordV's set up, and looks like I have my work cut out for me. I ordered a cable and a bracket, so I think I will have the parts I need. Will just have to put together and play with it.
    edited August 21, 2010
    I was looking ar lordV's set up, and looks like I have my work cut out for me. I ordered a cable and a bracket, so I think I will have the parts I need. Will just have to put together and play with it.
    well , he uses kitchen-paper too , woks fine