HDR along Railtrail

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited August 22, 2010 in Landscapes
Shot yesterday while hiking the Mass Central Railtrail.

976539939_nw3UU-L.jpg

C&C welcome,

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    If you hadn't said it was HDR I might not have known. The right side of the photo is a little hot, and the shadows under the tree limbs are still underexposed, but I think that just makes it look more realistic.

As for the framing, there's a lot of scrubby vegetation and no clear focus. The top 1/3 is underside of tree branches, which obscure parts of that stone building on the other bank, and the tree that's growing up on this side of the bank separates the dam from the building, and isn't a very interesting itself. This has a lot of potential, but I'd like to see you get closer. I might have done a couple of things - played with getting different angles of the dam only, trying to get the flowers in the right into the foreground, and shot a few of just the building and the building with a bit of the dam, but either from another angle or right down next to (or in) the water.

I bet it's spectacular at dawn or dusk - but hiking is kind of like that - you can't always make the hike and the light coincide.
    HDR along Railtrail
    Red_zone, thank you for looking and commenting. This was a three image HDR in close quarters with trees and a fence limiting viewing options and angles.

I did take one slightly different view and will look at cropping.

I was going for not grunge, realistic HDR.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    well, i guess fences are supposed to get in the way! It's definitely a believable HDR and not overdone!