Too Many Legs??

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited August 21, 2010 in Holy Macro
I shot this "stink bug" this morning in our crepe myrtle. There was a bit of a breeze, so getting the twelve shots to register in the stack was a challenge, and I'm not at all satisfied with final result, but I AM getting more comfortable with Zerene. I find it much easier to work with Z's retouching tool than to mess about with the layer masks in PS.

What I find interesting about the image is that there are apparently four legs on the near side of this bug. What's with that? At first I thought it was a stacking artifact, like maybe he moved between shots, but no, looking at the individual shots, it is what you see. It was gone (of course) when I went out to have a look. I guess my biology isn't what it never was, but why does this critter, which most certainly is not an arachnid, have (I suppose) eight legs? The other cool thing in this image is the wicked looking claw from an off-side leg that's visible on the stem below the body. No wonder those things can get such a grip.

977213268_xsg5h-XL.jpg

D700, 1/200, f8, Tamron 90mm, ISO800
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I shot this "stink bug" this morning in our crepe myrtle. There was a bit of a breeze, so getting the twelve shots to register in the stack was a challenge, and I'm not at all satisfied with final result, but I AM getting more comfortable with Zerene. I find it much easier to work with Z's retouching tool than to mess about with the layer masks in PS.

What I find interesting about the image is that there are apparently four legs on the near side of this bug. What's with that? At first I thought it was a stacking artifact, like maybe he moved between shots, but no, looking at the individual shots, it is what you see. It was gone (of course) when I went out to have a look. I guess my biology isn't what it never was, but why does this critter, which most certainly is not an arachnid, have (I suppose) eight legs? The other cool thing in this image is the wicked looking claw from an off-side leg that's visible on the stem below the body. No wonder those things can get such a grip.

977213268_xsg5h-XL.jpg

D700, 1/200, f8, Tamron 90mm, ISO800

These guys have 6 legs. What you're seeing is the first leg of the other side on the far left. Check the leg structure of the stinky green one:

greenstink.jpg

Also the stacking isn't consistent with the inner legs area. There is a lot of multiple image ghosting.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Of course! Thanks for the better view. Perfectly clear now.
    Yeah, I never would have posted this had I not had the question. Not only was there a breeze, but he was moving around. It was obvious to me early on in the processing that I was not going to get a good image out of it. Despite what Mythbusters says, you really can't polish a turd.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.