Bright Yellow Caterpiller

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Holy Macro
Don't know what kind this is! Small, maybe 1" long - shed lots of hair and probably bites!

977499937_tjyNx-L.jpg

977500091_URa3v-L.jpg

977500546_F53mo-L.jpg

977500411_bQ3HZ-L.jpg

Found him while walking in the Pennsylvania woods. Remarkable color, with bright red spots.

Anyone know?

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I don't know what it is, but I'm mightily relieved that it's only an inch long. Looks like something George Lucas would have been proud of!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Found it!

The White-marked Tussock Moth is a common native of North America, living throughout the eastern U.S. and Canada. The caterpillars feed on a range of host plants, including birch, cherry, apple, oak, and even some coniferous trees like fir and spruce.
    White-marked Tussock Moths produce two generations each year. The first generation of caterpillars emerge from their eggs in spring, and feed on foliage for 4 to 6 weeks before pupating. In two weeks, the adult moth emerges from the cocoon, ready to mate and lay eggs. The cycle is repeated, with the eggs from the second generation overwintering.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Excellent series- wonderful light and the reflections work well - using black perspex ?
    Brian v.
    edited August 22, 2010
    Excellent series- wonderful light and the reflections work well - using black perspex ?
    Brian v.

Yes, exactly. I had a sheet already set up at home when I brought the caterpiller inside.

I really need to find some better surfaces to photograph on. I would guess some larger leaves would be best for bugs.

Thanks for the nice comment,

Z
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 22, 2010
    GREAT SERIES, ESPECIALLY LIKE THE LAST FRAME clap.gif

looks similar to a tussock moth or vapourer in uk
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Incredible Creature :wow
  • handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Zanotti first off great shots my favorite is number 3. Second could you tell me what material you are using as a background I really like it and would like to try something similar?
    Thanks
    edited August 24, 2010
    handlebar wrote: »
    Zanotti first off great shots my favorite is number 3. Second could you tell me what material you are using as a background I really like it and would like to try something similar?
    Thanks

This litle guy is sitting on a sheet of black plexiglass. I have sheets of white and black plexiglass that are about 2 ft by 2 ft and use them as a base sometimes.

Z

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    WOW, what an amazing little creature and quite beautiful too. Beautifully exposed images and the reflections are exceptional.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Wow! What a beautiful creature.
  • handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Z.

Handlebar